Check your welds

isaac_

Anyone else running the cat on the akra? Check your welds. Anyone else cracking? Or have cracked?

Manufacturing flaw? Or did I just get a bad one?

Tried to fix mine and well... we screws up. Need the take to a better welder.

And ktm will only sell a full system? Can't buy the cat separately. Grr.

IMG_0649.JPG

isaac_

*I* didn't do anything other than take it to someone I thought could weld it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayabusa

Country flag
wait !!! I just found out that has a little scratch.
$190 shipped anyway in continental US included.

a7f0f4e69a70607faa5fbc4d4853a2ea.jpg
5417e359a2383e82cbf396444e0e1240.jpg
32d5c0408cb598f141bb00f829536bb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris The Welder

Okay, cool. Did you find out what kind of metal it is? I'm betting it's Stainless. A good tig welder can fix you right up but don't be surprised if it cracks again right next to the weld, pretty common.

isaac_

Okay, cool. Did you find out what kind of metal it is? I'm betting it's Stainless. A good tig welder can fix you right up but don't be surprised if it cracks again right next to the weld, pretty common.

Yup. Stainless.

I need to figure out what rules my race org is going to go with next year before I source a back up mid pipe. I agree the crack is likely to come back in a different spot.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Have a mid pipe made like the new "open'"Akra, better front side/mid-range gains, less weight etc. Don't bother fooling with that one anymore.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Yup. To both. I think he tried 28 amps and he was still heating up the cat faster than the rod.

Also, it's off the bike. In the picture, it's resting on top of the air box.

For stainless you'll want to go 1 amp per 0.001" max. I usually start at about 70% of that, and work my way up until I'm happy with the penetration and puddle I'm getting. 28A for that was (obviously!) too much, but "heating up the cat faster than the rod" implies to me he was then what, STICK welding it??? You can TIG aluminum foil together... I've done it. (stupid fabrication tricks to do after everyones had a few too many sorta thing) but seriously... for something like that, you want to start LOW on the Amp and work UP, not start HIGH and go "Ooops, blew a hold in it! Guess I better turn it down!" Your 'welder' seems... ... ... ... ...inexperienced.