Chinese exhaust?

Falkon45

Country flag
Hey guys,

I know this is usually a hard point for most of us, but I typically like to experiment with these things. Sometimes, it's a waste of money, and sometimes, it works out.

I've been looking at exhaust for a while, and although I do like most of them, the cost gets to me a bit. Now, not saying it isn't worth it, but when you have 5 project cars, and another project bike, you kinda want cost effectiveness more than top of the line equipment.

For the bike, I was looking into exhaust, and since I do haunt AliExpress a lot, I came across this for the Duke 390.

-1020330294-1890976924.jpg

Now, I know this isn't going to be anything spectacular, but I do want to know if anyone has tried these out. Especially, since it's for the Duke. Essentially, it should fit, but if not, I'm willing to give it a go, and give back a report.

For $265.21 shipped, it won't suck too much if it doesn't work out. I don't mind being the guinea pig if none has, but want to know.

Chuditch

If you check on ebay there are some pretty impressive pipes coming out of Thailand. Not Tyga or Akropovic but very close clones that have good feedback from customers. Cheaper than what you have there.

Last edited:

airazen

Country flag
already tried that on my bike, for a week, the sound is similar to Akra, but after that, it's like hearing my grandma screaming next to my ears.
took it off, replaced with other brands less than you paid for, but it has better quality.
for the built quality, i scored 7 of 10 and the chinese exhaust get 5 of 10, both are compared to compared to my old Leovince Corsa Evo.

40104011_695561840803085_4731191383199580160_n.jpg

m3hl

Country flag
I love experimenting with chinese parts. The truth is, it's a gamble. Sometimes you get a REALLY awesome part and save gobs of cash. Other times the parts go straight in the trash. That said, the cheapest arrow kit is $400 shipped from itally. If you wait for an ebay coupon you can get it for $350. At that point it's not that much more to get a name brand. But i'm curious about this.

EDIT: Ebay coupon is today. PICKSOON is the code.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARROW-KIT-...849954&hash=item1a46926314:g:h3gAAOSwAO1antYL

Very cheap

Last edited:

Falkon45

Country flag
So, I bought the exhaust, and a couple other bits

Fender delete (in Black)
-936914313-1578466485.jpg

And levers.
-20053719031670098343.jpg
-1689636682-531156166.jpg

$345 USD total. Not too bad. Should be here in about a month or so.

Falkon45

Country flag
I'm thinking, if the sound turns to crap, I can repack the can. If not, I'll put the stock muffler back on, and deal with it. Lol. Hopefully, the Duke system will work on the RC. I'll be happy if it does.

Falkon45

Country flag
Exhaust came in. Just a quick overview and some pictures for now.

First, it's a steel can with something that may or may not be actual carbon fiber wrapped and epoxyed on it. Second, not sure if it's titanium or not, but it's definitely lighter than I thought it'd be. Third, some sketchy drilling in the end cap to gain access to the DB killer bolt. Fourth, welds seem pretty decent. But, where the muffler connects to the rest of the exhaust piping seems like a great place for an exhaust leak. Guess we'll find out when I install it.

Also, it came with a Akrapovic sticker so you can fake the funk. I'm not using it. Lol. I need to get a scale to compare weights.

IMG_20181024_005528.jpgIMG_20181024_005511.jpgIMG_20181024_005914.jpgIMG_20181024_010609.jpgIMG_20181024_010722.jpg

Falkon45

Country flag
So, the header, Ti retainers, and higher pressure rad cap came in. Just doing the exhaust for now, but can't figure out how the get the header out. The v-band setup doesn't fit between the engine and frame, and it looks like I'll have to remove a coolant line to get the stock header out. If anyone with a 2017+ who has installed the Tyga header has any tips, please let me know.

Also, my 4 year old wanted to help. Added a ton of time to the job, but I was happy he was interested.

IMG_20181031_122617.jpgIMG_20181031_134646.jpg

Falkon45

Country flag
Day two. Still no progress on the bike. Mostly because I finally got the axel sorted out for my mom's 4runner. I won't be able to do a full coolant conversion on the bike as of yet, so I'm just looking for something compatible with the stock coolant. I'm going to have to remove a coolant hose in order to remove the header.

Also, anyone notice that a bunch of bolts were loose on their bikes? My header bolts were. One was just over hand tight, and the other spun off by hand. The rest of the exhaust was tight. I checked the engine casing bolts, and same thing. A ton of them needed tourqing.

Falkon45

Country flag
Seriously guys, I need help with the header removal for the 2017+. I'm close to either dropping the engine,or cutting the stock header to remove it. Neither of which I want to do. If anyone had done it, give a brother some advice

Falkon45

Country flag
So, got the exhaust on. I swear, I never had to take a header off and reinstall so many times. Lol. The engine mount bracket, wires, the O2 sensor plug. Jeez. Lol.

Anyway, it doesn't quite fit right. Either there's a slight difference in exhaust for the 2017 390 Duke, the Tyga header is a little longer, or the Chinese just don't give a f$&k and just straight up said "good enough". I'm leaning towards the latter. Lol. Anyway, I need to get some coolant, and refill the system. Then I'll start it up and see what's what.

IMG_20181102_152952.jpgIMG_20181102_152939.jpgIMG_20181102_152934.jpg

Falkon45

Country flag
So, started the bike this morning. My God, this thing is loud. And that's with the DB killer installed. My normal 11pm boredom rides are going to have to end. Lol. I haven't reved it up as of yet, because I just checked to make sure the cooling system is filled and not leaking. I'll try and get a ride in tomorrow to figure the sound out.

Chuditch

Ah the trials of exhaust changeovers and removals, I had a lot of fun just installing a cat delete pipe between the header and 'tea pot', took me for bloody ever. looking at the dramas you had I would have probably not bothered lol and just gone with the Werks cat delete and slip on for the 2017. I just used an Italian copy (Gianelli) of the arrow cat delete....