Dealer rant...

Kootenanny

OK, this is nothing too major, but...

Recently, started getting the "Service Not Reset" notice on startup. Looked up the owners' manual online (I'm still waiting for a manual, never got one with the bike), saw that there's an "initial service" due around 1000 km. As my RC390 is a new bike, I felt it would be a good idea to have this done--it's basically a complete checkover of the bike (all stuff I can do on my own, but I want the documentation should there be future warranty issues).

Made an appointment; was told the check should take about 3 - 4 hours, and was given the shop's hourly rate. OK, fine. I arranged to drop the bike off one afternoon and pick it up the next day around noon (note, I live out of town, so dropping off & picking up is a pain--my wife works in town, but still...). Anyway, show up at the agreed upon time, was told it would be "a bit longer." OK, time for me to get my wife's car back to her workplace and walk back (about a half-hour walk--as it was, a buddy was able to give me a lift).

Back at the dealer, I'm now told the bike will be several hours longer. Now, I have no transportation, and I really don't want to hang at the bike shop for 3 hours. I talked them into lending me a demo bike that I could ride home and return the next morning. Which I did, upon which I was presented with a bill for nearly twice what I'd orginally been told it should cost. "Hey, it takes a lot of time to take all those fairings off & put them back on," I was told.

Which I understand--but hey, they knew that going in, why was I led to believe it would be several hundred dollars less? I was kind of expecting set services would be a straight rate. Anyway, I did pay the bill...then when I got home, went to re-install my detector, and discovered the wiring was too short. Checked, to find it had been re-routed. I then spent neary 2 hours of my own time removing all the fairings (again!) and returning my wiring to it's original routing (which did not include stuffing any extra wiring under the tank).

Anyway, not terribly impressed with my dealer's service department. They are going to replace one engine cover they damaged in removal, but still...hmmm...

OK, rant over. I know it's not major, but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Kootenanny

On the plus side, just received my suspension goodies from Hard Racing--rear Ohllins shock, front Andreani carts. Will install once I'm back from a trip.

Michelle

I feel your pain brother lol :cool: ,, I hate going to the dealers ,, look what happened to me the first time I went ,, did 3 valves and left one tight and to put the icing on the cake when I picked my bike up the engine light was on ,, and they tried blaming me cos I fitted a fueling unit when all along they had not pushed a engine plug in properly...

That is a load of old rubbish taking a long time to take all the fairings off ,, I can have mine all off and tank ready to work on in less than a half hour...
I have it down to a fine art taken mine off now :rolleyes:

The dealers in the UK are sh*t......

perzbenz

I am an adviser at a dealer and fyi its not legal to charge a different price than what was quoted without notifying the customer.

Kootenanny

I am an adviser at a dealer and fyi its not legal to charge a different price than what was quoted without notifying the customer.
Yeah, but they never actually gave me a written quote, only verbal. Like I said, with a set service (as this was), I'd expect a set price.

Also, they didn't reset the clock (as I realized later while riding).

As for removing the fairings--yes, I've done it enough times now I can get them off pretty quick myself, probably faster than the shop mechanic. The problem is, although they may be KTM certified mechanics, I don't think they're very familiar with the RC bikes--the shop seems more devoted to offroad machines.

What they've done is damage their reputation in my eyes...I will be reluctant to take my RC back to them for service. But if I do, I will insist on a written quote.

Treachery

Country flag
@Kootenanny- Your dealer must have not laid wrenches upon an RC for the initial service until yours. As the first wave of bikes hit the dealers, the KTM mothership (service book) said X hours for the task. Virtually all of them discovered that it takes somewhere between 6 & 8 actual (not book) hours. They might beat that by now, but IIRC, dealers had to start quoting actual time and cost to customers rather than the KTM gospel. I guess your dealer was just late to the party.

Ryanthegreat1

Virtually all of them discovered that it takes somewhere between 6 & 8 actual (not book) hours.
Must include a dozen smoke breaks, a long lunch, and a nap.
First time I did mine was 3 hours. Taking my time to remove and inspect various aspects of how the bike was built. I even put the rubber bib back.

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, without consulting the manual, I don't know what all is involved in the first service, but getting it to operating temp, changing the oil, then removing the fairing, tank, getting it cool enough to do the valves (before or after the oil), adjusting the chain... If you're doing it the first time, it sure isn't the 2.5h (IIRC) that the book said.

Kootenanny

@Kootenanny- Your dealer must have not laid wrenches upon an RC for the initial service until yours. As the first wave of bikes hit the dealers, the KTM mothership (service book) said X hours for the task. Virtually all of them discovered that it takes somewhere between 6 & 8 actual (not book) hours. They might beat that by now, but IIRC, dealers had to start quoting actual time and cost to customers rather than the KTM gospel. I guess your dealer was just late to the party.
Actually, I know for a fact that they'd done at least one previously--and they've had that bike in the shop at least once since (bit of a story about that one, too).

This is the thing--they ARE billing their actual time, not "book time" as stated by KTM. I was told that my service took less time than the previous one they'd done; IMO they should be billing the book time and take up their issues with KTM, or at least set a time for the work so they can quote a standard price.

I could be out to lunch here, as the truth is that I seldom have work done at a dealer (I do as much work myself as I can)--I took the bike in for the first scheduled service mostly because I wanted the documentation--so I may be unaware of normal billing procedures. They did tell me one exhaust valve was tight, and was re-shimmed to tolerance, which I guess could account for some of the bill, but still...

Treachery

Country flag
Actually, I know for a fact that they'd done at least one previously--and they've had that bike in the shop at least once since (bit of a story about that one, too).

This is the thing--they ARE billing their actual time, not "book time" as stated by KTM. I was told that my service took less time than the previous one they'd done; IMO they should be billing the book time and take up their issues with KTM, or at least set a time for the work so they can quote a standard price.

I could be out to lunch here, as the truth is that I seldom have work done at a dealer (I do as much work myself as I can)--I took the bike in for the first scheduled service mostly because I wanted the documentation--so I may be unaware of normal billing procedures. They did tell me one exhaust valve was tight, and was re-shimmed to tolerance, which I guess could account for some of the bill, but still...

I agree with you 100%. I might've been too lazy to do the valves (or not close enough to have the needed parts), but I had my dealer do the first service for the same reason. Fortunately for me, they ate it for the extra time. Dunno whether they raised sand with KTM corporate.