DIY Exhaust Hanger/Mount

mauromj

Country flag
If you are like me, you do not like the current options for exhaust hangers on 2017+ models. The stock mount that is integrated into the right passenger foot peg is ugly in my opinion and leaves you with few options once deleted.

One of the few bolt on pieces that I am aware of is from R&G: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-exhaust-hanger-ktm-rc390-2017

While this is a clean OEM-ish looking piece, I do not like the "hanger" look. I personally want the left and right of the bike to look as similar as possible.

Since I am planning on maintaining OEM exhaust (other than cat delete), I figure I would make my own hanger that mounts on the factory foot peg bracket.

I started with a piece of 3/4" x 1/4" x 12" aluminum bar. I then put 2 bends in it to form an almost 's' shape. I did this by using some persuasion with a BFH (big fricking hammer) and my steel work bench. Make sure that the 2 bent sides are parallel. Bending is required, as the exhaust sits slightly further than the foot peg mount.

View attachment 5581
View attachment 5582

Next came modifying the factory foot peg mount. The back side where we will be mounting to is not very flat and needs some modification. I used an angle grinder with a thick cutoff wheel. Take your time here. Much of it is not visible once the hanger is mounted over it, but it is very easy to slip and leave a mark on something that is visible. Make this as flat as you can so the aluminum bar sits as flush as possible.

View attachment 5583

Now you are going to want to drill 2 holes in your foot peg mount so you can bolt the hanger to it. I opted for M6 hardware, although I would probably use M5 if I were to do it again.

View attachment 5584

Once that is mocked up, you can figure out where your rear hole will be.

One thing you will notice, is how much closer to the swing arm the exhaust is compared to OEM. I opted to bring it in as close as I could while still leaving a little bit of a gap. Caution, as rear spools may come in contact with the can when the swing arm travels. I will be making new spools out of spacers/washers that are lower profile than what I have now.

IMG_0953.jpg

Once all the fab work was done, I sanded with 100 grit sand paper and filed all the edges smooth/round.

IMG_0951.jpg

Lastly, a coat of flat black paint finished it off. If I were to do it again, I would go satin black. Should match the OEM powder coat a little better.

IMG_0964.jpg

All done! Enjoy your hard work and the $100+ you saved. Time to go drink a cold one and enjoy the other projects you have. For me, it was rebuilding an M3 head. :D

IMG_0966.jpg

Last edited: