DNA filter and MNNTHBX airbox cover

CDN Duke

Country flag
As has been mentioned in several threads, the MNNTHBX cover doesn't seal properly on the DNA filters as their mounting flange isn't as tall. The filter slops around in the airbox even with the lid fully tightened down. It actually will allow some vertical movent as well, so its not a good seal and can let contaminants post there filter. Note however, the filter does fit and seal fine in the stock airbox...

I emailed Greg at MNNTHBX asking if they would consider making the relief a bit shallower in future to increase compatibility but that's unlikely to happen I think.

Forum user bahawton suggested weather stripping, and that's exactly what I've done. I bought some closed cell self adhesive stripping - they had some thinner white open cell style as well but I thought the closed cell would probably seal better and last longer. The open cell white stuff would have worked fine as this was a much snugger fit.

The MNNTHBX lid is too nice to not use... Happy it seals as expected now.

IMG_20161009_185638.jpgIMG_20161009_190236~2.jpgIMG_20161009_191613.jpg

Last edited:

Grove

Cool idea! What is the thickness and height for the seal you'd recommend? Can't make it out too well in the pictures.

Last edited:

CDN Duke

Country flag
Cool idea! What is the thickness and height for the seal you'd recommend? Can't make it out too well in the pictures.

Yeah, not sure why the full images didn't upload, seems like just thumbnails...

The weatherstripping is 1/8" thick by 3/8" wide (3mm x 9.5mm).

The closed cell is quite a bit stiffer than open cell, likely not needed so if open cell foam is avail, try that, it's cheaper too. But this stuff worked and will likely last forever.

Grove

Yeah, not sure why the full images didn't upload, seems like just thumbnails...

The weatherstripping is 1/8" thick by 3/8" wide (3mm x 9.5mm).

The closed cell is quite a bit stiffer than open cell, likely not needed so if open cell foam is avail, try that, it's cheaper too. But this stuff worked and will likely last forever.
Thank you! I'll give it a go.

Funny thing is that your original post also reminded me that I have to weather seal a few doors in my house. LOL.