DO NOT start engine without sproket cover!

green_bread

Country flag
Maybe this is common sense and I just missed out, somewhere. If so, I apologize if this seems stupid to anyone.

Last weekend, I was doing an oil change and was also going to clean/lube the chain while everything was easily accessible. After doing the oil change, I started up the engine to let the new oil cycle through as you normally would. After about 5 seconds of running, oil started coming out of a couple of the holes for the sprocket cover bolts. I shut the engine off, cleaned everything up, and replaced the sprocket cover. This time, there was no leak.

Im guessing that those bolts actually hold the case cover on and apply pressure to the gasket... and having them removed allowed the little bit of crankcase pressure to push the oil past it?

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just being dumb?

Ryanthegreat1

The holes for the chain cover into the case are not blind holes, they are through holes into the crankcase. So yes with the bolts out oil will come out of the bolt holes.

Guyhowdy

My top bolt is missing and I thought nothing of it...probably vibrated out. I'll have to get that replaced ASAP, thanks for the looking out!