ECU / Engine control mods

Fasteddy

Country flag
I concur about getting off topic and was think same thing, so....

I will list the sensors from the duke schematic which everybody says is the same just different component locations.

BTW where do you race at?

Fasteddy

Country flag
sensors

I concur about getting off topic and was think same thing, so....

I will list the sensors from the duke schematic which everybody says is the same just different component locations.

BTW where do you race at?

EFI control unit
Throttle position sensor
Rollover sensor - fuel pump kill
Temperature and manifold absolute pressure sensor -4 wires
Lambda sensor - 4 wire Heated O2

Fasteddy

Country flag
So just thinking and looking at the wiring diagram and cup bike pics, How much electronic stuff do you need these days on a race bike?

That being asked, getting rid of the ABS and using one of it's sensors to provide signal to other modules does not look to difficult. Do you really need the instrument cluster, vehicle control module and a big heavy ECU just tor run a fuel injection system ( a few pounds of wire too)?

Just curious what the minimum a serious race bike needs?

micahpearlman

So just thinking and looking at the wiring diagram and cup bike pics, How much electronic stuff do you need these days on a race bike?

That being asked, getting rid of the ABS and using one of it's sensors to provide signal to other modules does not look to difficult. Do you really need the instrument cluster, vehicle control module and a big heavy ECU just tor run a fuel injection system ( a few pounds of wire too)?

Just curious what the minimum a serious race bike needs?

Not much really. The process of an ECU is:

1. Determine load. This is done through MAP and TPS sensors. A continuos voltage between 0..5V
2. Determine RPM. ECU does frequency counting via the ignition sensor. (0V or 5V). There may already be a fixed function frequency counter somewhere not on the ECU (doubt it though).
3. Determine crank position. Crank or cam sensor?
4. Given load and RPM index into the fuel map at the correct crank position apply PWM to the injector.
5. Given load and RPM index into ignition map at the correct crank position advance or retard ignition time and trigger ignition.
6. You may want to have different maps given the gear selection as well. Is there a gear selection sensor?

Other nice to have functionality for racing:

* Would be good to output OBD or some other standard CAN based protocol so one could add a dash with RPM, gear position, etc.
* would be nice to be able to connect to a quick shifter.
* Auto-blip on down shifts.

Fasteddy

Country flag
It does have the gear indicator and position sensor for ignition, about the only other things to control would be cooling fan, use static temp switch, and in tank fuel pump, I think the quick way would be the mega squrit with a little mod to get speed pulses if needed...

micahpearlman

Fasteddy

Country flag
I've been looking at the microsquirt (MicroSquirt Engine Management System Megasquirt Kits / Assembled Engine Management Systems, Wideband o2 Sensor Systems and tuning products - DIYAutoTune.com) and the Frankenstein (https://www.tindie.com/products/rus...assembled-diy-ecu-shield/?pt=full_prod_search). The megasquirt has a lot more community support but the Frankenstein is cheaper and a bit more modern as far a development platform goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the info you gave me on the ECU model / type I have been surfing for more info and came across this simple little charm... I saw that you have a piggy back for yours but I was thinking this might be something to try on my more commuter mode machine, also working on a GPS based OBDII logger just for fun....

micahpearlman

Let us know how the OBD connection works out. I will be doing the same.

FYI: I'm sure you know this but you will want a high frequency GPS. Sparkfun sells a very nice 20Hz unit (I have some opensource code on GitHub to interface Arduino or iOS to it). There is also some 10Hz units that are much cheaper you can find on eBay.

Fasteddy

Country flag
sucsess / data

Let us know how the OBD connection works out. I will be doing the same.

FYI: I'm sure you know this but you will want a high frequency GPS. Sparkfun sells a very nice 20Hz unit (I have some opensource code on GitHub to interface Arduino or iOS to it). There is also some 10Hz units that are much cheaper you can find on eBay.

I had time today to finish up my interface cable from KTM to Sparkfun UART, most interesting to look at! I am using the LINUX scantool and am able to watch the O2 sensor voltage and trim levels plus tons more data! all the the neat stuff like warmup cycles, air temps, and as it idled the fan came on at 197 deg. F....

It is defitely a narowband style O2 sensor produceing a wave form as micahpearlman describes, max voltage I could get was .8 Min was 0. This data will be handy for tuning mods to come...

Sun is out for first time in days so time to ride.

Fasteddy

micahpearlman

I had time today to finish up my interface cable from KTM to Sparkfun UART, most interesting to look at! I am using the LINUX scantool and am able to watch the O2 sensor voltage and trim levels plus tons more data! all the the neat stuff like warmup cycles, air temps, and as it idled the fan came on at 197 deg. F....

It is defitely a narowband style O2 sensor produceing a wave form as micahpearlman describes, max voltage I could get was .8 Min was 0. This data will be handy for tuning mods to come...

Sun is out for first time in days so time to ride.

Fasteddy

Awesome! What SW are you using? Would be great if you posted a thread on your OBD build. I'm especially interested in what connectors are required to connect to the OBD on the 390.

ryandalling

There's a RC390 Bazzaz unit on eBay right now. Weird, it isn't on their website... wondering which I'd rather go with... PCV or Bazzaz?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Bazzaz is not high on my list. They will never offer ignition timing capabilities, will not offer independent cylinder maps (not applicable here for single), cell resolution is poor. Their TC sucks point blank. My 2 cents. Their QS nice though standalone wise. But I am a "tuner" so what do I know....

DCMoney

Country flag
Bazzaz is not high on my list. They will never offer ignition timing capabilities, will not offer independent cylinder maps (not applicable here for single), cell resolution is poor. Their TC sucks point blank. My 2 cents. Their QS nice though standalone wise. But I am a "tuner" so what do I know....

Thanks for your professional input, seriously!

Any idea when the PCV will be available to us common folk?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I am trying to pin him down on a date I promise. All I can say is they are in progress I know for sure.... I'm impatiently waiting the arrival of mine :eek:

ryandalling

I emailed the peeps in the link... will see if they actually have it. The last two things I bought online for the KTM were out of stock.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I emailed the peeps in the link... will see if they actually have it. The last two things I bought online for the KTM were out of stock.

I can promise they don't lol. I just got the only 2 in exsistance... No labels etc, strictly for testing purposes.
image.jpg