micahpearlman

The following is not really a specific question, just sharing knowledge/experience for others getting their RC390 race ready, specifically in CA:

I was looking into getting the KTM Hard Parts Akrapovic exhaust and the dealer here in CA is refusing to sell me the exhaust (even though this will be a race only bike). Not a huge deal, It's a well known California CARB thing, I ordered one online instead (for cheaper, though I don't get my KTM "bucks"). What really kinda sucks is that the dealer service department is also refusing to install the factory map for the ECU, even if I show up with a non-op DMV registration. I didn't think that would be that big of a deal at first either as I could find some local speed shop that would do it or find something online like, TuneECU (TuneECU_Start). Turns out, as far as I can tell from research, these modern Bosch Motronic ECU's on the 390's are locked down pretty tight. You can read standard OBD2 from the ECU (https://gearheads.in/showthread.php...the-DUKE-200-390-amp-RC-200-390-CODE-6-Tuning) but seems there is some KTM proprietary password protected communication for flashing the ECU. Which all means that you need an authorized KTM service center with the correct KTM specific ECU flashing equipment. That is going to be difficult to find a KTM service center here in California that will be willing to that. It's technically illegal in CA, even though there are supposed to be exceptions for race bikes it appears no local dealership wants to risk it and as far as I know there aren't any speed shops that have the KTM ECU flasher. In the time being I bought a PowerTRONIC piggyback ECU from India (http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/exhaust-fuel-delivery/3474-powertronic-plug-piggyback-ecu-everything-you-need-know.html). This should be sufficient for what I need, but it still really irks me that I am locked out of the ECU...

NOTE: As of 4-6-2015 I don't actually have the bike or know when the bike is coming in. I'm just getting all the ducks in a row so if it comes in I can get the bike on track and racing quickly.

tt2013

Hi micahpealman. Did you ever get the flash sorted out? I live in Southern California and want to get my ecu flash because I heard that this bike runs on the lean side? I appreciate your input.

micahpearlman

Hi micahpealman. Did you ever get the flash sorted out? I live in Southern California and want to get my ecu flash because I heard that this bike runs on the lean side? I appreciate your input.

This was all started before there were any piggyback ECUs available. I highly recommend the Power Commander V from ktmperformance.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk