Engine Oil Level

naveed

I have a 2017 KTM RC 390 and had ridden it about 500 miles; just realized that the oil is on the lower side (picture attached). I ran the engine for a while, waited for a minute, and the bike was on rear stand.

I was wondering if running on this much oil would have caused any damage. Would it be OK to top it with Motul 300V 15W50 fully synthetic before I change oil at 620 miles?

IMG_2954.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
As earlier stated, yes the oil level needs to be measured with the motor FULLY up to temp and straight up / not on the kickstand. I personally GENERALLY have always checked the oil level on a pitbull rearstand / paddock stand. This is as a matter of convenience, as I seldom have anyone handy to assist with holding the bike upright for me, and seldom trust JUST the front wheel chock to hold the bike when it's on the stand. Andy, why do you say that with the bike on a rear stand you won't get a correct reading? Have you checked the indicated oil level back to back with the bike on a stand and just held upright? I do admit, that the manual makes no mention of using a rear stand, or not, but I would find any (meaningful) difference between the two to be quick shocking.

Check_Oil_Level.jpg

Checking the oil level with the motor too cool will indicate a false "low oil" level, and filling it to the "correct" level with the motor cold or not fully up to temp would then result in an overfilled oil level. If you're lucky, all you'd do is have the oil seal on the shift shaft pop out...

When I have changed the oil (and filter) in the past, I've just measured the amount the motor is suppose to have (1.6L / 1.7qt.) and added that amount.

Note, I use some of that oil to partially fill the housing as well as saturate the oil filter prior to installation:
Oil_Filter.jpg

I then check the oil level after the shakedown ride and having brought the bike up to temp.

naveed

The picture above is with pitbull rear stand. As the manual doesn't mention to use a stand, I checked the oil without the stand as well and the level was about the same.

naveed

I took motorcycle to dealer to pour a little more oil. The dealer checked the oil and the oil level was little below max after the 10 mile ride to the dealer. I did warmed up the engine till the fan turned on and waited for minute when I checked it myself.

I am confused. Does the engine oil level after a ride more reliable or following the method in the manual?

isaac_

I took motorcycle to dealer to pour a little more oil. The dealer checked the oil and the oil level was little below max after the 10 mile ride to the dealer. I did warmed up the engine till the fan turned on and waited for minute when I checked it myself.

I am confused. Does the engine oil level after a ride more reliable or following the method in the manual?

Oil levels need to be checked after it warms up - regardless of what the manual says. I check mine after warming up on the stands for a minute or two. M

naveed

My RC 390 shows low oil even after 10 minutes of warming up. But shows oil level just below the max after a ride. Should I go with the measurement after the ride?

m3hl

Country flag
My RC 390 shows low oil even after 10 minutes of warming up. But shows oil level just below the max after a ride. Should I go with the measurement after the ride?

Mine only measures correctly after RIDING the bike, even after getting it up to full operating temp. Which is absolutely stupid if you ask me. You have to ride the bike with a potential low or high oil volume to make sure its correct.

naveed

I agree. It's very confusing, I was about to pour more oil as I was checking it using the method in the manual without riding. I was wondering if that's the reason some people in other thread mention that they end up with 1.8 or 1.9 liter of oil.