Fierce glare from the display in sunlight...

JKBC

I just noticed a few times on the ride I just finished. Enough to have my eyes hurting and even looking straight ahead when it happens it still is annoying.
I've got a new pair of prescription sunglasses some where (lots of stuff mislaid from the move into the place I bought) which are supposed to block UV rays.

Wanderlust

I've noticed it too. Trying to find some anti-glare film for it, like they make for computer screens. Don't know how it will stand up to weather, tho.

onethump

Ya the reflection is blaring. Cant see my speedo on sunny days. Luckily the bottom part of my helmet blocks it off most of the time.

JKBC

Ya Wanderlust I think 3M make stuff like that.
I found those sunglasses and they've got some sort of polarizing effect like what a polarizing filter can do for a camera which makes the display weird colours and maybe makes it worse. Check out these pictures. The first is the cameras view of the glare which made it compensate by going to the highest ISO setting it can making everything else dark. Then the other 2 show what it looks like through my regular and then sunglasses prescription glasses. Pictures taken with a Nikon D5200 without a polarizing filter.
camera view of glare w⁄o glasses.jpgregular glasses.jpgsunglasses.jpg

JKBC

You can wear polarized sunglasses with a helmet visor? I can't; makes me motion sick o_O
No...I've never tried them while driving/riding...yet.

Check out my KTM Display Hoody®

...all current street-legal KTM's have the same display size and dimension-wise....
I'd trade them the patent on this if they'd sell me a 2016 1290 Super Duke R for one dollar (one Canadian dollar that is)
1-a Hoody takes shape.jpg2-raw material provided by Amazon.uk.jpg3-CDN gift to world of Ducktape.jpg4-bike is lowered 30mm btw.jpg5-Hoody hardly noticable.jpg6-looking good in the Hood.jpg7-there it is.jpg8-it's alright now.jpg
Bike is lowered 30mm btw.

Last edited:

JKBC

You're welcome Hunterbear and thank you too.:)
The KTM Display Hoody® was a test (and a prototype, could follow it up with one made with suitable black plastic)....sort of works but you can still get it pretty bad when the sun is right behind.
I've just sent the inquiry in the picture to these people http://www.elitektm.com/garmin-anti-glare-film-for-virb-action-camera-detail.htm?productid=20790804
...who are a KTM dealer and even claim to have the largest KTM parts inventory in the USA. Didn't get all of what I said (thought I did but didn't), it started of with 'Hi. There is a need for...'
anti-glare suggestion.JPG

Last edited:

Wanderlust

Well, if you want an interim solution while you wait for the KTM Display Hoody to hit the market, I can sorta recommend the antiglare film. I bought a cheap pack off of Amazon (3 sheets for the iPad mini, so bigger than needed and extras if you mess up); made a template by taping up my display with painter's tape, marking the edges, cutting it out, transferring it to the antiglare film (yada yada yada)... The custom film fits the display nicely and does mitigate the glare somewhat, but not completely. I can now look down at the display with sun behind me and not be completely blinded, but I still can't read the speedo fer shite.

JKBC

Well, if you want an interim solution while you wait for the KTM Display Hoody to hit the market, I can sorta recommend the antiglare film. I bought a cheap pack off of Amazon (3 sheets for the iPad mini, so bigger than needed and extras if you mess up); made a template by taping up my display with painter's tape, marking the edges, cutting it out, transferring it to the antiglare film (yada yada yada)... The custom film fits the display nicely and does mitigate the glare somewhat, but not completely. I can now look down at the display with sun behind me and not be completely blinded, but I still can't read the speedo fer shite.
Thanks. Nice how that stuff has no adhesive and that is cheap. I'm hoping I eventually get a reply from that KTM dealer. I think the 1290 Super Duke and several other models have basically the same display so it really is a problem that needs as good a solution (while still using these displays) as possible.

JKBC

This may be about as HQ as it gets https://youtu.be/KEN9whWOqTI although I imagine it sticks on? It mentions 90% as an industry best at picture clarity so even it may have the smaller numbers blurred significantly.
Website for their line-up with a few more videos here https://www.bodyguardz.com/screenguardz-pure-anti-glare-glass-protector-film-guard-shield
...just watched that video again and it does stick on and uses the throw-away plastic packaging to precisely fit the particular device so really you'd rather KTM had someone like them make a version specifically for the KTM displays. The stuff certainly is scratch resistant and tough enough to hold up on a bike.

Last edited:

JKBC

I wonder if any of the racing owners may know how the whole stock dash (having removed it) including the display is put together?
It occurred to me if the display could be tilted (top towards rider, bottom either stay the same or move down/away from rider) 15-20 degrees the glare would probably be gone.
Then I thought perhaps tall riders maybe don't have this problem because their perspective would be quite different.