First Service/Valve Check Price Please

Sacape2

Yeah my buddy told me it won't be cheap there which is why he quit.

FWIW, anyone in Southern California, stay away from Del Amo Motorsports.

Treachery

Country flag
That's a gawdawful sum. If you look back at the older threads about the first service, you'll see that originally KTM spec'd like three hours for the job. What seems to have happened is that on the first bike that each shop took in for first service, they discovered that that time estimate was ...hooey. Part of the time was "learning curve," of course, but mine took essentially all day. So it appears that either KTM changed the spec time, or dealers wised up, or both. IMO (and it'll never happen), KTM corporate should somehow defray the cost to the consumer, just to defuse all the ill-will that this will continue to generate

Just my 0.02.

Falkon45

Country flag
I just paid 203 for my 600 mile service. They just did an oil change. Didn't reset my bike, didn't check my valve clearances. Looks like I'm not going there again. Doing everything myself from now on.

Andy

Country flag
I just paid 203 for my 600 mile service. They just did an oil change. Didn't reset my bike, didn't check my valve clearances. Looks like I'm not going there again. Doing everything myself from now on.

I do most stuff myself unless it’s a major task but saying that our KTM dealers here in UK are pretty good compared to some of the horror stories you read of in the US.

Set your self up with some decent tools and stands and you’ll be ok as well as find a good supplier for nuts and bolts to replace the cream cheese OE ones and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattv

Country flag

Mine tried the same crap. I had to make them look up the KTM first service checklist because they were so sure it was just an oil change and checking torque. I know you've already paid for yours, but I would contact their service department AND KTM, so at least other people aren't being taken advantage.

There are estimated durations for the labor here: https://www.ktm.com/globalassets/service/service-periods/2018-maerz/ktm_servicezeiten_2018_02_en.pdf

I would expect the first service to be about $300 - $400 and they should do all the things listed on the KTM checklist.

Tom

My first service is due in roughly 30 miles. I was quoted about $600 for labor, but they said they would be able to install any aftermarket parts on the head as part of that. You know what they say: when life gives you lemons, lemons go great on seafood or something.

On a serious note. The manual shows a lot more than just oil change and valve inspection. Refer to section 10, page 80 and 81 for those of you who wish to do this by themselves.

Last edited:

Falkon45

Country flag
Thanks for the advice guys. Thankfully, I bought a bunch of stuff so I could do the shims on my zx7r. I'll get to it with I get back from work... In two weeks. Lol