Found this crack today

DylanOhara

Any clue what this is or the cause of the crack. 2200 miles. Smells almost of gas. Looks to be attached to the snorkel going into the throttle body. When I first saw it the area around the crack was visibly wet and the liquid smelled like gas. Is this just the liquid drain area for the gas expansion and oil recirculation from the valve cover?

Attachments

• 20180823_101429.jpg
    20180823_101429.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 151

isaac_

Looks like your air box. Not a big deal. Epoxy from the outside or replace altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DylanOhara

My concern is more for the fact that there's minimal stress here and it's cracked with 2200 miles and less than 2 years old. I imagine I'll need an epoxy strong enough to resist corrosion from gasoline.

isaac_

My concern is more for the fact that there's minimal stress here and it's cracked with 2200 miles and less than 2 years old. I imagine I'll need an epoxy strong enough to resist corrosion from gasoline.

It’s not super thick or strong plastic and the bike rattles. So it’s not necessarily cracked because of stress.

mattv

Country flag
That's a little black box that's attached to the airbox. It has a breather hose attached to the crankcase and another to the head.

I have a broken airbox I've been meaning to cut this thing off of to take a look inside. Will probably do that this weekend.

hvlmike

Country flag
I have a simialr box on my DRZ...It recirculates oil from crankcase blowby back into the motor. It's not really necessary but saves a little oil and keeps the bike cleaner (as long as it doesn't leak! lol). Inside there's usually a couple chambers and one has some foam to catch the oil from the mist.

green_bread

Country flag
This is completely common for that little breather box to crack like that. Good news is that its not connected to the rest of the air box internally, so theres really not much concern with it being cracked - other than if you get a little blow by, youll get some oil film building up around that area.