Hello from Dallas, TX!

Big_Muncho390

Hello Everyone!

I've been browsing the forums for a while now but decided it was finally time to join the community. I've been riding motorcycles for over 10 years (mostly MX) but wanted to get in to road racing. I picked up a KTM RC 390 in May 2016 and have done a few track days since. I plan to upgrade a few things first such as rear suspension, front fork cartridges, and brakes as they feel a bit squishy from the factory. The bike is a ton of fun and I feel like I'm getting faster and faster the more track time I get. Hopefully some upgrades will give me the confidence to start knocking seconds off my lap times. I live in Dallas, Texas where I was born and raised and I'm looking in to racing CMRA soon. Looking forward to meeting you all and getting some great info on the 390! I attached a few pics of me at my last track day at MSRC. Was running in level 1 the moved up to 2 later in the afternoon (when the tires were HOT)
rsz_img_12469.jpgrsz_img_12738.jpg

unicorn_violence

Welcome to the forum sir!! your on the right track with upgrading the suspension. that upgrade alone will shred massive amounts off your lap time. brakes are a good idea as well. ive raced the majority of the season on the stock brakes, but just upgraded them in time for the next race weekend. i did a new rotor, pads, fluid, and levers. im hoping that fixes it, but doing abs bypass lines might be the only way to completely remove the squishy feel. also, i suggest getting some perelli SC's as they stick like glue to the track!
if you haven't looked already, i have a race build thread you can check out for some more ideas on what to do to the bike.
http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/ktm-rc-390-general-discussion-forum/1410-budget-race-build.html

Big_Muncho390

Welcome to the forum sir!! your on the right track with upgrading the suspension. that upgrade alone will shred massive amounts off your lap time. brakes are a good idea as well. ive raced the majority of the season on the stock brakes, but just upgraded them in time for the next race weekend. i did a new rotor, pads, fluid, and levers. im hoping that fixes it, but doing abs bypass lines might be the only way to completely remove the squishy feel. also, i suggest getting some perelli SC's as they stick like glue to the track!
if you haven't looked already, i have a race build thread you can check out for some more ideas on what to do to the bike.
http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/ktm-rc-390-general-discussion-forum/1410-budget-race-build.html

Thanks for the welcome! I'll certainly be sure to check out your race build. I'm conflicted picking between the pirelli supercorsa and the Bridgestone RS10 racing tire. The SC however seems to be the go-to for many 390 racers.

Chris The Welder

Welcome. Reading your post made me reflect a bit. Thinking about it I just realized that I've never had more fun than I had racing. I do love my RC, and enjoy riding it but riding on the street doesn't really give me the thrill of the racing experience. I raced until I was 42 years old, probably could have retired on what I spent over the years. But, I digress. Now it's just the occasional track day to satisfy the itch. Anyway, welcome, good luck, ride safe, and have a blast.