Help buying a KTM RC390.

ConfusedDeer

Hello,
I'm buying my first bike. I've had a Motorcycle license for 12 years, because I used to ride my friend's bikes a few times when I first got the license 12 years ago.
So I'm making the leap. I have the financing and have my heart set on a KTM RC390.
I haven't ridden in 10 years, so I figured it would be a good starter bike.
I'm going to speak to the dealer and wanted to find out what sort of deal I should be aiming for?
I got a quote back from another dealer in PA (I'm in MD) and he said $6466 out the door (new) and I still have to pay taxes which is ~$377, so total= $6843.
Price 5499
+Freight 450
+setup 340
+document fees 125
+temp plate 28
+ lien fee 24
grand total = $6,466.00 (taxes not included ~$377)

What's a good deal price out the door for a brand new KTM RC390? I usually pay much less than MSRP for cars, but not sure for bikes.

I'm in Maryland (Taxes is about 6%), so please respond with US Dollars please.

Last edited:

Bre919

Re: help buying

You'll love the bike. Guys get the 390 because they are fun and for me as a 24 year old girl new rider, it's perfect. Just learned to ride in a basic rider's course 2 and a half weeks ago. Bought the bike 1 week later and have put almost 400 miles in a week and a half. And I love how nobody has KTM's. You'll definitely stand out.

As far as price... I'm way over here in Texas, and believe the prices are running close to the same as you mentioned. Only dealership that I know of not in Texas, that sells a ton of stuff under MSRP is Abernathy's in Union City, TN. They are great, legit, bought rzr there... Last time I checked website they didn't have RC390 listed, but you may want to call. Not sure if that is crazy far for you. A lot of people travel to buy from them. Good luck and happy shopping!

sturge

See also 'Dealers and Pricing' under 'KTM rc390 Ownership' for prices paid
I paid $6131 otd (tax, fees, reg, everything).

Good luck...great bike to get back into it with!

Willasan

I paid 6,800 OTD in Southern California back when these bikes were hard to come by. I bet you can do a bit better than that.

ConfusedDeer

I sent an email to two dealers who have them in stock stating that It's not an outrageous OTD price, but it is on the higher side for most deals I've read about.

If it was early spring 2015, then I could see how asking for a higher OTD price, but this late in the year with only a couple of months left of riding here in Maryland, I'm not going to pay full MSRP just to ride for 2 months and store it. Unless I can get a good deal I'd rather wait until spring 2016 and get a 2016 model for the same full MSRP price they are currently offering me.

Last edited:

kings4thecup

for a few dollars its not worth going back and fourth...if you want it do it. 200-400$ in the grand scheme of things on a financed deal is so minimal. If you were paying all cash youd have more leeway.

ConfusedDeer

My reasoning

It is my cash, just financed from the bank...LOL
My reasoning is that I should be getting a stellar deal, because it is the end of the summer here in MD. Why should I pay full MSRP to ride for 2 months and then store it, when I could just wait until spring 2016 and get the 2016 RC390 model for the same price or close to it.
In my mind...it has to be a sufficiently good enough deal to make me want to get it now, instead of the 2016 model in the spring.

Just curious regarding your statement, "If you were paying all cash youd have more leeway." If I have a pre-approved (bank loan) check from my own bank, then what difference does it make to them?

for a few dollars its not worth going back and fourth...if you want it do it. 200-400$ in the grand scheme of things on a financed deal is so minimal. If you were paying all cash youd have more leeway.

Last edited:

big_sur

Actually, dealers get a piece of deals they help finance so you actually have less leverage with cash. When I bought my super duke last year, they gave me a better deal financed so I just got the loan and then immediately paid it off.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Dealer just came back with $6,800 out the door. What do you guys and gals think?
That deal sucks. If other dealers have them as well, pick up the phone and call each of them. Be honest and say "I'm looking for the best price, I'm buying the bike now. What can you do". make it clear you're not playing around. Don't be the first to throw out a number. If they're persistent, just tell them it's not fair to the other guys you've already talked to, and you're just asking what the best price you can do on the bike, end of story. It literally took me twice as long to add the bike to my insurance as it did to deal with the sales guy.

Last edited:

kings4thecup

ive never heard dealers getting a piece of what is being finance? Cash is king and paying cash in some cases and in some dealers avoids sales tax.

big_sur

Oh yeah, we had a very explicit conversation about it. I mean obviously if you shop around and find the best rate and don't get your financing at the dealer, then yeah, it doesn't matter, but they absolutely get an incentive for the dealer financing that they sell. I don't know exactly what they get, but I got $500 off $20k for financing it as opposed to paying cash.

Muckabucka

Country flag
When I was shopping around, the very best quote I got was from a high volume dealer in town. They did not have one in stock though, so maybe it's a moot point. I was quoted 5499 OTD without tax.
It's my understanding that KTM actually charges most dealers for the freight, setup etc. so it's pretty hard for the dealer to recoup that money if they give you any discount. It's my belief that higher volume dealers may get some levels of discounting on the freight, setup, etc due to their volume.Depending on the bike, and especially something this low cost, there is not much margin for the dealer to wiggle on price anyway. You may be looking at 10% or so?

I ended up getting mine for 58XX OTD from a larger dealer in Decatur Illinois.
Look up all the dealers in your area on cycle trader, and let them know that you're ready to move on a bike and ask them what their best out the door price is. Probably waiting until the end of the month or end of the quarter may help drive a little deeper discount if the dealer is looking to move more units.

ConfusedDeer

Latest figures for KTM RC390 Brand new. If my math is right Dealer #3 comes out to be $6,600 With taxes, tags, and delivered to my home:

Dealer #1: $6,800.00 OTD (includes Tax, plates, everything)
Dealer #2: $6,027.00 (Does not include MD Taxes, Registration, Plates)
*Dealer #3: $5,854 (+$150 for delivery in Sprinter Van (Does not include MD Taxes, Registration, Plates))
Dealer #3 they are 2.5 hours away.

Title: $100
Taxes: 6%

Last edited:

sturge

$700 for 'freight and handling' is BS...that's where the difference is. Some dealers choose not to put that added cost on the bottom line and just sell the bike at MSRP plus lic/reg/tax...PERIOD.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Mine was OTD with a Motor vehicle Certificate of Ownership for $5949.00. (MSRP + Shipping) Oregon no sales tax, did my own DMV. I am amazed at the prices dealers are quoting people, might be worth a trip to some podunk dealer in some place like the Dalles Oregon ;^)...

OldVet

If you was to add sales tax to that it isn't all that much different than what I paid here in central CA.