I put a 16/63r17 michelin pilot race tire on my rc390 today..

Trae327

Before I get blasted for running a 160 width on this bike, this is an amazing tire even if its not meant for the street. I mainly use my rc390 for fast mountain runs (I live in east TN, PLENTY of awesome places close by) and occasional trips to the city. I started to break in this tire today and man, It REALLY grips.. I had better luck with this tire than the rosso ii, which I only got 1500 miles on. Although it was a tad bit slower (hardly noticeable) I picked up almost 4 seconds on one of my favorite mountain roads near my house, and its only about 3 miles of non stop switchbacks and sweepers. there is a bit of "chicken strip" due to the width, I would almost have to be completely horizontal to get rid of them. Dont be scared to run this size if you have thought about it. Im not a tire expert, but I really feel planted and confident with these.whats your thoughts?

And before you say run a 140, I almost bought one today, but my local shop gave me this tire for $75 and im sure its worth more than that so i decided to atleast try it out for a while to give some feedback

AND yes, that bike is harder to put on a moto stand than you think :p

bike.jpg mane.jpg

Last edited:

Trae327

You're strips are less than mine on my stock 150s :D

lol I actually have about the same exact strips that I had on my 150s! couldnt get any lower than 2mm past the "rosso" logo.. its weird.. maybe I was just really confident in the placebo effect and was really riding it that much harder haha who knows.. ive just seen alot of negative thoughts about a 160 so i decided to try it for myself.

Hypoint

Same here. But I figure that everyone's comfort levels are different. You could just be a badass and not tell us lol. Good shit either way

Trae327

Same here. But I figure that everyone's comfort levels are different. You could just be a badass and not tell us lol. Good shit either way

haha im no badass, but i like to think i can ride pretty fast for just getting into street riding. (first street bike) Ive raced motocross in 250a and 450a for years so its definitely transitioned into street bikes. Always rode ktms so it was an easy decision when i stumbled upon the rc390 at the dealer. Ive had so much fun on this bike! I dont think i need a 600 or liter bike.. id probably die pretty quick lol i like to push the limits but only in the mountains with no turn offs .. i try to use my best judgement because ive seen alot of new riders, regardless of skill level get hit or crash. def dont want that :)

Seth

Country flag
Before I get blasted for running a 160 width on this bike, this is an amazing tire even if its not meant for the street. I mainly use my rc390 for fast mountain runs (I live in east TN, PLENTY of awesome places close by) and occasional trips to the city. I started to break in this tire today and man, It REALLY grips.. I had better luck with this tire than the rosso ii, which I only got 1500 miles on. Although it was a tad bit slower (hardly noticeable) I picked up almost 4 seconds on one of my favorite mountain roads near my house, and its only about 3 miles of non stop switchbacks and sweepers. there is a bit of "chicken strip" due to the width, I would almost have to be completely horizontal to get rid of them. Dont be scared to run this size if you have thought about it. Im not a tire expert, but I really feel planted and confident with these.whats your thoughts?

And before you say run a 140, I almost bought one today, but my local shop gave me this tire for $75 and im sure its worth more than that so i decided to atleast try it out for a while to give some feedback

AND yes, that bike is harder to put on a moto stand than you think :p

View attachment 3177 View attachment 3178

Ha ha an RC on a motostand!!!!! Awesome!!

Trae327

Ha ha an RC on a motostand!!!!! Awesome!!

haha!! Hey i gotta do what i gotta do!! I really need a proper stand, i suppose that would make it slightly easier hahaha :cool: this bike is light but not THAT light.. kinda didnt take into consideration my dirt bikes frame sets a good foot higher lol

Last edited:

Trae327

How do you find the 110/160 combo?

i will say that at that lean angle you see on the rear tire, the front seems to be running out of width, it wasn't bad at all and I was REALLY pushing it to get anything sketchy to happen and that was only with the front. I only incident I had was it started to low side, or push in a max lean angle sweeper. Other than that it's butter man. I love it.

also another plus was the ride height. I wasn't scraping my pegs off as much and it seemed to have a better corner diving characteristics, just like running a 140/70r17

Last edited: