Ignition coil upgrades

Falkon45

Country flag
So, I'm asking, because I just saw what the coil looks like. Has anyone ever upgraded these so something like an MSD coil, or swapped to coil on plug? I'm asking, because that's typically where I start looking for more bumps in power after intake, exhaust, and spark plugs on my cars. It's a mod I never mentioned on here. Are the stock ones that good, or has no one ever thought about it?

Tom

Honestly, I doubt you will get anything good out more voltage on your ignition system. You would need to gap your spark plugs way out there, and back them once you start getting blow out. You would also need to find a way to see clearly into the plug well so you could index your plugs, which would also mean buying massive quantities of an uncommon plug, then finding a way to sell the likely high ratio that will not index the single cylinder we have.

RB26dett

Country flag
Honestly, I doubt you will get anything good out more voltage on your ignition system. You would need to gap your spark plugs way out there, and back them once you start getting blow out. You would also need to find a way to see clearly into the plug well so you could index your plugs, which would also mean buying massive quantities of an uncommon plug, then finding a way to sell the likely high ratio that will not index the single cylinder we have.
You wouldn't need to buy several plugs just one and get indexing washers...

Its what I use in my GTR

RB26dett

Country flag
So, I'm asking, because I just saw what the coil looks like. Has anyone ever upgraded these so something like an MSD coil, or swapped to coil on plug? I'm asking, because that's typically where I start looking for more bumps in power after intake, exhaust, and spark plugs on my cars. It's a mod I never mentioned on here. Are the stock ones that good, or has no one ever thought about it?
Installing an 8232 MSD with 8.5mm plug wire is happening in the next month. Hotter multiple sparks is the way, this creates a complete cleaner burn, indexing the plug will also help create more torque.

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
Upgrade to oxygen free, tin plated, double stranded copper ignition coil wire along with an Iridum plug and the spark quality is something to be felt. MSDs, coil overs are not a bad idea (if there is a dedicated CoP setup) if not upgrading the wire, plug cap and plug to a better quality one will yield benefits..