Is it just my shock or are they all the same?

Ive gotten the R6 shock off Ebay and Matt has kindly posted me the spacer etc I need.

But I'm curious as I weight suited up 105kgs suited (220 lbs) yet when I sit on our brand new RC390 the shock just goes down all the way to the bump stop. There is no shock left.

I've read all the woe stories about this bikes rear shock but is it really this bad considering it does come from KTM or is it just our one is dead?

Either way it is getting binned I am simply keen to see if anyone elses shock was this dodgy.

Diploman

Andy, Congratulations on going with the R6 shock - you will not regret it. Matt did a great service to the 390 community by researching and making this cost-effective solution available to us.

The OEM shock, from several angles, is underwhelming and needs to be swapped out for the bike to reach its performance potential. Not only is is overdamped on compression when cold, but when heated by the exhaust cannister, both compression and rebound damping tend to disappear. The one-size-fits-all progressive spring on the OEM shock really fits no one, and is definitely undersprung for heavier riders. Not only that, but adjusting the spring to full preload with the toolkit's c-spanner is a royal PITA. In short the OEM shock is a low-budget, underperforming cost-cutter-special that deserves to be binned at the earliest opportunity.

With a linear spring rated for your weight (you may need to do this - at your weight the yellow R6 spring will likely be too soft), an easy-to-use screw adjuster for preload, effective adjustments for compression and rebound, and relative immunity to exhaust heat effects on the damping, the R6 shock really overcomes the serious deficiencies of the OEM part. If you were seriously into racing you probably would want to go for a new, high-end shock such as JRi, Ohlins, K-Tech, Wilbers etc. For street riding, however - even very spirited - the R6 is more than adequate, and there are a number of 390 owners who have used it successfully for occasional track outings.

You will understand what I am saying once you have fitted your "new" R6. You are doing the right thing!

Last edited:

Maddog Reynolds

I weigh about 75 kg / 165 lb and I need the rear spring preload wound almost to maximum (a squirt of ACF50 or chain lub on the adjuster ramp helps keep it free to move) and the rebound damping is much too soft in warm weather--it bounces like a kid's pogo stick. I think the RC 390 is infamous for it :)

Ive gotten the R6 shock off Ebay and Matt has kindly posted me the spacer etc I need.

But I'm curious as I weight suited up 105kgs suited (220 lbs) yet when I sit on our brand new RC390 the shock just goes down all the way to the bump stop. There is no shock left.

I've read all the woe stories about this bikes rear shock but is it really this bad considering it does come from KTM or is it just our one is dead?

Either way it is getting binned I am simply keen to see if anyone elses shock was this dodgy.
Hello.
I'm 79kg.
I mounted the R6 shock, with R6 original spring, and preload in the middle.
The sag was quite low (~2cm)
So I removed a little bit of preload, and I'm fine.

If your spring is not strong enough, check if your preload ring is not at the minimum.... otherwise there is an issue with your spring.