just better fueling

stevieboy

Country flag
I have a '15 RC and have a question about optimal fueling. I am not going to do any pipe or airbox mods as I am not looking to increase noise or horsepower or even change the torque curve. I have read a lot about the bikes running lean and think I understand the socio-political reasons for that. I have had the cooling fan issue and dealt with that already. Would richening the fuel to air ratio allow the bike to run cooler and maybe increase longevity and maybe help to avoid head warping and other issues? What would be the best way to do this? And what other issues would it raise?

Treachery

Country flag
Okay, admittedly I'm over my head a bit here, but...

In general, an engine runs cooler when it runs richer. I suspect that the difference is marginal, but it's there, and should contribute to lower head temps. Longevity? Dunno. The best way to run richer is to map it in with a PCV or Bazzaz or equivalent. How to do that is way over my head, but there's plenty of help on here.

Also, in general, running richer will decrease fuel economy, and (probably) increase carbon emissions.

It's OT, but working on the cooling side has the potential to decrease the risk of heat-related head issues, and there are several discussions of that on here.

stevieboy

Country flag
I accept the lower mileage and higher emissions. (the socio-political aspect) I have a friend with a 390 Duke who did all sorts of stuff. He says his butt dyno gives it a couple more horses and torque through out the range. The pipe just sounds loud to me. How can you make a single sound all that much different anyway? Does the Akra map help? I doubt my dealer would do it anyway. What about the different fuel controllers-is one better than the other for just this basic change?

Rcdan

I have the same questions for the same reasons Stevieboy. Very curious to hear experiences and opinions.

cornerslider

I recently put a PCV on my 2016. I used the "generic" map for stock intake/stock exhaust. I just downloaded the map off the power commander website. VERY easy! I have about 200 miles on it with the PCV. Here is what I've noticed:

-Throttle response is greatly improved
-Power delivery is smoother
-Bike runs cooler (I dropped one "bar" on the temp gauge), and my fan only kicked on once (in traffic) since I did the PCV
-Gas mileage dropped some (who cares?)

In hindsight, I would have put the PCV on the bike, (even with the stock exhaust) from day one! It made my bike run the way it was probably designed to run before the tree-hugging EPA got involved..... My new Arrow exhaust will be here this week. I already have a map from Chad Wells (Commonwealth KTM) for my pipe and intake mods. In my humble opinion- even if you run the stock exhaust, this bike really benefits from a fuel controller

Old3

Country flag
Mine is stock with a Chad PCV and trimmed airbox lid and KN filter. Transformed the engine. Response is great now.

Ryanthegreat1

I am getting better MPG by a bit with the PCV installed. I also went +1 on the front sprocket with no real difference in acceleration vs stock. Sure makes cruise at 75-80 more comfortable and a new found top speed.

And Chad's maps on the PVC completely transform the engine behavior. He also is adding timing just about everywhere.

stevieboy

Country flag
Keep the responses coming. I am just trying to see if I need to spend an additional $300.00+ labor to get the bike running as it should. I will be recovering from surgery for several months soon and unable to ride so I will have plenty of time to wrench. Odd though that this is the first of over thirty bikes that I have owned that I have to worry about things falling off. Maybe that's why they are sold at the Harley dealership where I live?

cornerslider

If you have ANY mechanical ability, the PCV isn't difficult to install yourself. There are several YouTube videos that make it pretty easy. Once the bodywork/tank is removed, it's pretty straight forward. After doing it once, I could do it in 15 minutes now. I think the hardest part was getting the tank off-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk