KTM calling valve check at initial service optional now?

reenmachine

Country flag
I just scheduled my initial service with the dealer, and they told me that their KTM field rep said that the valve check is optional at this point. They said none of the ones they've done so far have been out of spec so save the money and do it at the next service at 5000mi or whatever. I asked if this would affect the warranty and they said no. So, I'm going to skip it and get it in writing that this was their recommendation.

Has anyone else heard this?

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Somebody commented the same in another thread. I also read yesterday that somebody doing their own check/adjustment, found their valves to be in spec. No shim or adjustment necessary.

paige

when i went in for my first service my valves were way too tight and they had to take the cams out to adjust...took about 8+ hours at the dealer

Somebody commented the same in another thread. I also read yesterday that somebody doing their own check/adjustment, found their valves to be in spec. No shim or adjustment necessary.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I just scheduled my initial service with the dealer, and they told me that their KTM field rep said that the valve check is optional at this point. They said none of the ones they've done so far have been out of spec so save the money and do it at the next service at 5000mi or whatever. I asked if this would affect the warranty and they said no. So, I'm going to skip it and get it in writing that this was their recommendation.

Has anyone else heard this?

I would definitely say WRONG, Mine were tight on exhaust for sure out of spec and close enough on intake to go another step. My dealer did one that was sold same time as mine and it was same clearances as mine. I talked to KTM North America in Ohio about a few other issues and the rep on the phone was emphatic about making sure valves were checked at first service interval....

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just as an additional datapoint, mine were in spec at initial service. Did them myself, so I know that's true and not just a tech being lazy and saying they were in spec. I've heard others say that their bikes were all out of spec at initial service. I personally would have them checked. It is work to do the check to be sure, and yes, adjustment means pulling the cams to change the shims. Still, if they are tight, you're going to be down on power, wasting fuel economy, and very potentially prematurely wearing out the cams / followers. You do NOT want to put 8050km / 5000 miles on a set of cams that are too tight! It's your motor tho.

Bagwell

Country flag
I checked my valves at 620 miles or so and both exhaust valves were tight the intakes were fine. I reshimmed the exh valves and put it all back together. I wouldnt wait to check the valve clearances in my opinion.

Treachery

Country flag
I would be surprised if KTM corporate made that call, unless it's in response to the dealers being pi**ed that the specified time for the first service is so badly underestimated. I wouldn't skip it either. The wrinkle is getting your dealer to adhere to the "book" hours for the service.

Bagwell

Country flag
Unfortunately I dont trust the dealer to do what needs to be done. I just did it myself. I understand everyone cant do that though.

Ryanthegreat1

I had two exhaust valves tight and one intake valve was tight. This was at ~300 miles.

I would have them done at the 600 mile mark as recommend.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Unfortunately I dont trust the dealer to do what needs to be done. I just did it myself. I understand everyone cant do that though.

SURE they can!

The tools required to do the job are all tools one SHOULD own if they have a bike anyway. The only specialty tools they'd need would be feeler gauges and a micrometer, which can be found readily, easily, and cheaply. You can get a set of feeler guages and micrometer off eBay for less than $30 delivered. Folks on the forum are MORE than willing to answer questions about the process if somebody gets stuck, and almost certainly any member in the US has to be within riding distance of another member who DOES know how to do the service if they felt they needed guidance for their first time through the process. All of us who do our own work started at some point not having done it before. All of us at one point or another had somebody help us through our first valve adjustment, our first oil change, our first chain tightening, our first whatever. -=ANY=- forum member is welcome to come to my shop and be taught how to do said service themselves. I highly suspect I'm not alone in being more than willing and happy to teach a fellow rider how to do their own maintenance.

If any riders don't feel confident to do the work themselves, and want to learn... find a member on the forum in your local area and ask for help. If there aren't any other members on the forum in your area, then find some local riding club... almost all have monthly wrench days where everyone can gather in another members shop or garage for a service day. If there isn't one, start one.

We all had to learn. Somebody answered our questions and/or taught us. We should all do the same for the new or mechanically inexperienced riders coming up in the ranks behind us.

RoninJames

ok reenmachine i had the issue and my dealer went to bat for me w ktm.

checking the valves added at least 3 hours to the service. it was the first one of these bikes his shop had done so he said i didnt have to do it but he would if it was his bike.
i agreed.
after it cost me $371 for my first service he called KTM himself. he told them there is NO WAY valves can be checked in 1.5 hours that book quotes. they admitted no wrong of course and didnt budge BUT they told him NOT checking the valves is optional and does NOT void your warranty.... BUT yes another BUT... if you dont have the valves checked, and something fails due to the valves they WILL NOT COVER IT.

reenmachine

Country flag
Well, crap. I'll just do it myself then.

I took their word for it (very reputable dealer, but new to KTM) and my service invoice plainly documents it as "Initial service performed per factory specs and procedure" or something like that, so I feel I'm covered if there's ever a warranty issue.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Then I wonder why they list it as 'Required work' - 'one time interval' - ...620 miles section in section 10.2 of the owners manual? section 10.1 is an interesting read also...

Reenmachine, have you done your own re shim / check on your 1190?

reenmachine

Country flag
Then I wonder why they list it as 'Required work' - 'one time interval' - ...620 miles section in section 10.2 of the owners manual? section 10.1 is an interesting read also...

Reenmachine, have you done your own re shim / check on your 1190?

I suspect the dealer has done one or more 390, saw how much work it is vs. what's quoted, and pushed back on it with their field rep. I'm going to look into it further.

I haven't done it on my 1190 yet (nor has a dealer) but It's not called for yet. I'd have to look, but I don't think it's done until the 18,600 mi (30,000 km) service and I'm at 14,000 miles.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Some bikes just don't need the valves touched. My 02 Gixxer 1000 for example, on the initial service was dead on, and has been for every following check. I've yet to touch a single shim on that bike. One of my buddies has a high mileage gixxer 1000. He's turned over 200k miles on his (long daily commute) and he did have to adjust the valves on his at around 140k miles if I recall correctly. It's burning oil now. He doesn't have the highest mileage gixxer, but he's one of the top runners for miles over on gixxer.com. I think in those 200k miles, he's maybe done 6 wheelies tho. I tell him he's gonna burn for eternity for THAT particular sin!!! ;)

Asher

My bike got its first service yesterday. I asked them to check the valves but not shim them if they were out of spec since I have a mechanic friend that can do at a fraction of the cost of the dealer.
One of the exhaust valves was out, +.005mm if my memory is right.