KTM calling valve check at initial service optional now?

big_sur

Not sure how much money you saved there. Removing cams and changing shims is pretty minor compared to all the work required to get to that point (i.e. check valves). Now you're going to be doing the disassembly twice.

Asher

Not sure how much money you saved there. Removing cams and changing shims is pretty minor compared to all the work required to get to that point (i.e. check valves). Now you're going to be doing the disassembly twice.

Yes, but now I get to learn how to do it.

big_sur

Good call, have you found the service manual online? I gave up today and ordered the cd from the dealer

KTMGene390

If anyone needs the Service Manual DM me and I'll send the PDF file. The CD is only like $27.99 roughly (don't remember ) so I won't post it online. However, the CD does have copy protection, which is easy to circumvent so you can extract the PDF file for use on any device. I will include instructions upon request how to do this as well, just DM me.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Then I wonder why they list it as 'Required work' - 'one time interval' - ...620 miles section in section 10.2 of the owners manual? section 10.1 is an interesting read also...

That's what I went by as well.

I suspect the dealer has done one or more 390, saw how much work it is vs. what's quoted, and pushed back on it with their field rep.

I suspect you're on the money here. Unfortunately, that's between the dealer and the mothership, and the mothership is apparently allowing the dealer to pass the cost on to owners now. Betcha a cold one that for '16 bikes the specified hours for the service changes to something more realistic.

Some bikes just don't need the valves touched.

My Aprilia was like that. So are old BMW K-bikes after the first service.

On the RC, given the experience of owners finding the exhaust side tight, and some of the other QC/assembly variations, I'd spend the money, or try to work out a compromise with them on the cost. They know both what the book says and what it actually requires.

CAZHEREDIA

does the dealer do anything else other than valve inspection on the bike at first service 600miles? how long before I need to take bike again for oil change?

zippy49

Carlos, that info is in the Owner's Manual. The list of required checks and services is quite long, The mechanic at the dealer where I took mine had never done a 390 before, so he spent some time studying the manual online. The basic service, including checking the valves, was a bit over $300 but adjusting them took another two hours at $95 per. Plus they ordered some gaskets, which took a few days.

The Service Manual shows what is basically a full teardown. That meant removing the clutch cover to install a pin that holds the crankshaft from turning before you remove the cams. If it were me I would just lock the tensioner, pull the cam caps and sneak the shims in and out with a magnet. How did you DIYers do this?

aj@x

Mine in the shop at the moment getting first 1000km service and valve check. Have been told it will be between $350-$400.

stevieboy

Country flag
I just scheduled my initial service with the dealer, and they told me that their KTM field rep said that the valve check is optional at this point. They said none of the ones they've done so far have been out of spec so save the money and do it at the next service at 5000mi or whatever. I asked if this would affect the warranty and they said no. So, I'm going to skip it and get it in writing that this was their recommendation.

Has anyone else heard this?

EXACTLY what my dealer said too. I called KTM customer service and asked if the valves needed to be checked at first service and the reply was "Yes. Absolutely". My friend with the 390 Duke had his first check last year and they were not going to open it up until he insisted they check the cam lobes. They still didn't check the valves yet they told me they had "since it was open". They did not. It seems that in my case anyway the service department is counting on warranty repairs if something goes wrong and they told me that this was the case! I need to find another dealer!

cornerslider

SURE they can!

The tools required to do the job are all tools one SHOULD own if they have a bike anyway. The only specialty tools they'd need would be feeler gauges and a micrometer, which can be found readily, easily, and cheaply. You can get a set of feeler guages and micrometer off eBay for less than $30 delivered. Folks on the forum are MORE than willing to answer questions about the process if somebody gets stuck, and almost certainly any member in the US has to be within riding distance of another member who DOES know how to do the service if they felt they needed guidance for their first time through the process. All of us who do our own work started at some point not having done it before. All of us at one point or another had somebody help us through our first valve adjustment, our first oil change, our first chain tightening, our first whatever. -=ANY=- forum member is welcome to come to my shop and be taught how to do said service themselves. I highly suspect I'm not alone in being more than willing and happy to teach a fellow rider how to do their own maintenance.

If any riders don't feel confident to do the work themselves, and want to learn... find a member on the forum in your local area and ask for help. If there aren't any other members on the forum in your area, then find some local riding club... almost all have monthly wrench days where everyone can gather in another members shop or garage for a service day. If there isn't one, start one.

We all had to learn. Somebody answered our questions and/or taught us. We should all do the same for the new or mechanically inexperienced riders coming up in the ranks behind us.

+1 on what Matt said..... I learned how to do valves on a variety of bikes by watching youtube videos (seriously). The RC is one of the more challenging bikes to reach the valves, by once you get everything out of the way, and can get to the valves= VERY easy!!!! It literally took me less than ten minutes to check the valves (mine were in right in the middle of the spec range). I haven't had to change the shims on the RC, but if it's like any other bike, probably not too difficult? Anyone in Minnesota (twin cities area) that wants help, I'm willing to help out-

jay_jbworks

I don't suppose there is anyone in the Portland Oregon area that would be willing to help me check the valves on my RC390? I'm comfortable doing most things on a bike except for opening the motor. A little hand holding would be greatly appreciated.

stevieboy

Country flag
Just got mine back from my local Yamaha dealer. All four valves were tight, steering head was very loose and all three nuts holding the radiator fan in place were missing. Last time anybody looked at the fan was the KTM dealer who replaced it under warranty and I found missing radiator spacers when I went to put the bodywork back on. Going to Yamaha dealer for everything but warranty work from now on.

Oh and the Yamaha dealer was cheaper-not by a lot but enough.

Seth

Country flag
Just got mine back from my local Yamaha dealer. All four valves were tight, steering head was very loose and all three nuts holding the radiator fan in place were missing. Last time anybody looked at the fan was the KTM dealer who replaced it under warranty and I found missing radiator spacers when I went to put the bodywork back on. Going to Yamaha dealer for everything but warranty work from now on.

Oh and the Yamaha dealer was cheaper-not by a lot but enough.

That is pretty cool. I wonder if other shops IE Honda, Ducati, Kawasaki etc would be willing to work on the RC?