KTM overheatings and shuts down

KTMNL

Dear RC390 riders,

I have bought me an RC390 with overheating issues. I have read all known issues but mine are different.

My has trouble starting. If it starts after 10 seconds it will be so hot in like 1,5 miles that it shuts itself down. It says that the coolant is too hot. My KTM is original accept for the Akrapovic exhaust. I am not sure if the last owner applyed the Akra mapping. My coolfan works perfect. And there is enough coolant in the system. The thermostat and sensor have been renewed. The waterpump is working, I tried starting it with the coolant cap off and I saw the water comming out. So the waterpump should be oke.

so:

- fan working;
- sensor and thermostat renewed;
- enough coolant in there;
- waterpump should work.

Why is it still overheating so fast! Any ideas?

Kind regards,

New RC owner :)

yourlastvisit

Dear RC390 riders,

I have bought me an RC390 with overheating issues. I have read all known issues but mine are different.

My has trouble starting. If it starts after 10 seconds it will be so hot in like 1,5 miles that it shuts itself down. It says that the coolant is too hot. My KTM is original accept for the Akrapovic exhaust. I am not sure if the last owner applyed the Akra mapping. My coolfan works perfect. And there is enough coolant in the system. The thermostat and sensor have been renewed. The waterpump is working, I tried starting it with the coolant cap off and I saw the water comming out. So the waterpump should be oke.

so:

- fan working;
- sensor and thermostat renewed;
- enough coolant in there;
- waterpump should work.

Why is it still overheating so fast! Any ideas?

Kind regards,

New RC owner :)

Have your ECU flashed for any errors in the fault memory, that might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zaster

Country flag
Check for coolant leaks around the head gasket.

Mine had the same issue and until I pointed out a miniscule coolant leak at the head gasket, the dealership couldn't figure out what it was and blamed it on the PCV I had installed instead.

Long story short, there was an issue on many bikes with the cylinder head surfacing which let to a premature head gasket failure. This would allow air into the coolant system forming an air bubble which
would render the water pump ineffective in moving the coolant, hence the overheating.

Coolant in the combustion chamber caused major starting issues.

KTMNL

Well, Zaster was right. I had a blown head gasket. I disesembled the whole engine and replaced it. Did some deferred maintenance and the bike works perfect again! Thanks all.

btw: KTM modified the gaskets now :)

KTMNL

You should check the year its build in the parts (I know that some parts (like the tires) have years in it. You should also check the plastics and the seat for the year its build. Could be a 2015/16 bike that has been registered in 2017. That could explain the blown gasket (old gasket).

hvlmike

Country flag
You should check the year its build in the parts (I know that some parts (like the tires) have years in it. You should also check the plastics and the seat for the year its build. Could be a 2015/16 bike that has been registered in 2017. That could explain the blown gasket (old gasket).
It's a 2017 bought brand new at the dealer in January.