Lane Splitting.... yes or no ?

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
California's trying to officially allow lane splitting.

What's your take ?

Do you allow it or is it too Dangerous ?

>> The California Lane-Splitting Bill, AB 51, Has Passed the Senate | Sport Rider<<

la-fi-hy-dmv-lane-splitting-controversy-20140729

EnergyHOU

When the flow of traffic is under 15MPH or stopped, I think it's relatively safe and should be allowed. To me, lane splitting safety has to do with the speed of flow, not so much the act itself. It's all about reaction time for both the rider and the driver and at 60 MPH, neither has the chance to correct a mistake.

MrGrody

It's allowed for a valid reason and should be done with responsibility not carelessly.

If anything more people need to be educated on the matter. I've had people literally attempt to stop me from splitting because they believe I'm breaking the law.

hamishl

Country flag
I found this an interesting read the other day: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ting-lanes-maybe-we-should-follow-their-lead/

The article says research conducted by the California Office of Traffic Safety suggests so long as the motorcyclist isn't travelling more than 15mph faster than surrounding traffic, and traffic as a whole isn't travelling faster than 50mph, lane splitting may actually be safer for motorcyclists. Here in NZ, the Police and NZ Transport Agency have published guidelines that basically say lane-splitting is legal, but if you cause another road user to take evasive action, then that may be illegal (under dangerous driving rules).

While I will lane-split when traffic is going slower, I generally try to be more aware of what traffic is doing around me, for example if a space in traffic opens up next a car ahead of me, I will wait to pass them so I can be sure they won't try to immediately jump into that gap. I haven't had a lot of aggression from other drivers (a lot move out of the way in fact, so I always give them a wave of thanks) apart from one or two who try to get as close to edge of the lane as they can to stop me going past. There was one guy I pulled up next to at an intersection who spat at me though - I just tried to give him my best shaking-my-head-because-I-can't-believe-you're-an-adult look, then sped off at the green light.

Treachery

Country flag
I have done it in California, and it can be a near-religious experience. I suppose that's because I was a Southern boy in moto-Disneyland. I could've also ended up being the pinball. If it's legalized, it needs to be done nationally. Outside CA, and in other than stopped traffic, I'd want a lot of learning time for the brain-dead, cell-phone wielding, thumb exercising knotheads to get used to it. Even then you have to wait for the jealousy-induced meanness to subside.

=maz=

Country flag
I worry about the legality of splitting/filtering about as much as I worry about what I had to do to pass my test 20yrs ago...I'm more interested in survival and getting home to my family that I am about the cops.
Having said that tho, I don't live in USA so I'm unlikely to get shot in a roadside stop. :)

TennisFreak

I'd only ever do it at 15mph or less in just about completely stopped traffic.

For me any faster is too high a risk of injury as there are way too many cager @ssholes out there.

stevieboy

Country flag
I worry about the legality of splitting/filtering about as much as I worry about what I had to do to pass my test 20yrs ago...I'm more interested in survival and getting home to my family that I am about the cops.
Having said that tho, I don't live in USA so I'm unlikely to get shot in a roadside stop. :)

I thought all you guys were on the Aprilia forum?

rick

Lane splitting is just one of the truly amazing things about motorcycling!!!!
I'm alos one of those people that think it's far, far, far safer than sitting in traffic - that's how you get plowed. Plus, the bike doesn't overheat, by lane splitting you're helping reduce traffic jams, pumping less pollutants into the air and sucking down fewer in the process. I'm also okay with the 15mph delta and the 50mph top speed that was in the draft version of the bill but, they vagued it up before it passed. Hopefully the CHP guidelines will be pretty close. It is not easy to glance down at your dash to check your speed while lane splitting since all your focus is forward FWIW.

stevieboy

Country flag
Were you? Filtering spooks me. There is always somebody who thinks they are getting cheated true or not. Now the cagers in charge want us to get used to "Zipper mergeing" as a way to speed traffic along. Not quite the same and plenty of people are pissed at what they perceive as wrong.

Metals 907

I do it on occasion up here in alaska. Legal or not, its better than getting rear ended or crowded by agressive drivers. I've gotten my share of dirty looks and horns honking.

twinturba

Country flag
FYI, California already allows lane splitting this is just the states attempt at regulating it. This was really a non issue for many years, not sure why it has gained so much attention in past few years. Maybe riders on 1100 CBGSXRRR's shooting gaps in traffic at 70+ MPH startling old ladies in their Buicks, or J walkers being hit in San Francisco by Bicyclists splitting cars, or maybe people with too much time on their hands wanting to do something they see as important.

rick

Yeah, it's been legal for a long time in California. It's just an issue in the last few years because the CHP had guidelines published on their website for lane splitting and someone sued and won because the CHP can't create guidelines that in effect become enforceable laws ...or so it seems.

ratlab

can't believe any motorcyclist wouldn't want that option.been splitting traffic for 20 years here in ca without issues.15 mph over seems reasonable.