less problems with the 2017/2018's?

alexdsm

Hey guys I'm looking for my first bike. Looking at the R3 and the RC 390. I love the look of the 390, but seen so many HG issues, clutch, fans. Ext. I understand that it was the first years had some issues. Are the newer ones less prone and a little more reliable? I'm not going to race it. Just commute to work and get free parking. Thanks guys!

mattv

Country flag
For a first bike, I think you're better off with an R3 (or Ninja 300/400). The RC gas tank is small, it's not all that comfortable, it's not happy at low speeds without some sort of aftermarket fuel management. I think the RC is an awesome, quirky, and fun bike with lots of character; but I also think it's best if you have a garage you can work on it in, some basic motorcycle maintenance skills, and some cash to upgrade the components that are lacking in stock form.

The R3 is a great bike. I wish it had a slipper clutch, though. Anyway, hope that helps.

green_bread

Country flag
The R3 actually had its fair share of issues, as well, if you look in to it.

If I was going to recommend a bike for someone to ride around on the street, Id definitely recommend the Ninja 400 over any of the rest.

alexdsm

Thanks I just found the ninja 400, I'm thinking that's the route ill end up going for my first bike. I'll keep a eye on these hopefully they get better and ill come back to them one day haha

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
For a first bike, I think you're better off with an R3 (or Ninja 300/400). The RC gas tank is small, it's not all that comfortable, it's not happy at low speeds without some sort of aftermarket fuel management. I think the RC is an awesome, quirky, and fun bike with lots of character; but I also think it's best if you have a garage you can work on it in, some basic motorcycle maintenance skills, and some cash to upgrade the components that are lacking in stock form.

The R3 is a great bike. I wish it had a slipper clutch, though. Anyway, hope that helps.

The thing you need to remember is on the forum it's easy to see the concentration of "problems" and presume the whole fleet is having issues. What you don't see is the thousands of riders who have NOT had any issues with a HG, clutch, fan, etc... Also, the low end issues with running lean is easily resolved by flashing your ECU with the Akra map which does away with the emissions lean condition as well as opens up the RPM a bit. Yes, the newer bikes have had an update to the head with an added bridge for the exhaust. What you're also seeing is a lot of riders who are having a problem with the HG who are racers and their bikes live their lives screaming their brains out at peak RPM and then get shut off. There's none of the cruising on the highway to work in the morning sorta riding you are expecting to do. Also, there are plenty of racers who HAVEN'T had a HG blow up on them. The test mule here has spent the bulk of it's life on the dyno, and hasn't popped {knocks on wood} so there's an additional datapoint. {shrug}

I would recommend a 390 to a new rider without hesitation. Pick up a used 2015 and ride the thing for 2 years. Minimum. Take the MSF course and the advanced course. Go to a trackday or three. You'll see WHY so many street riders and racers are all having the time of their lives on these little 390's. :)

I just bought a 2017 rc390 as my first bike and I'm telling you that it is wonderful. I only use it for commuting and weekend rides and such. I highly reccomend this bike and I think you'll find that you won't encounter as many problems as those who only track their bikes, and any you do encounter would be forgiven. One thing about the 390 though is that I've learned through riding it that gripping the tank harder with your thighs lets you take a lot of pressure off your wrists.

Chuditch

I have had my 2017 RC since the start of the year. Had zero problems with it except for a rare tendency for it not to read which gear it is in on the display, not a problem for me as I grew up riding bikes with minimal instruments and gauges anyways. And it quickly reverts to normal so it's something I will get sorted easily. If you are looking at buying new beginner bikes with a bit of power then it really comes down to the Ninja 400 and the RC390. I have ridden a lot of bikes in my time and the 2017 RC390 is no slouch. It certainly compares extremely well to a lot of earlier model sportbikes, even the larger displacement bikes. Handling is amazing, trellis frame, slipper clutch, ride by wire throttle, great brakes, good tyres from the shop etc etc.

I don't baby my bikes but neither do I spare the horses, otherwise, why buy a sport bike if you ride it like a cruiser?

I echo everything the previous positive comments above have said. Even the older RC390s are a good thing, they have often had a lot of bugs ironed out and are good to buy on the budget.

Last edited:

john13

Country flag
My '16 390 is my first and only bike and it has been the best. Lots of punch and a great forum to help me take it apart and modify it. It's a sport bike so you have to be okay with the compromises (as opposed to the Ninja which is way more relaxed). Idk I love mine and its been a breeze to own and wrench on. Plus its different and not too many people have them which I like. Damn good looking bike. Look good on it too which is nice

Also my pillion passenger likes the seating position and the single buzz if you catch my drift........:cool::cool:

Edwardp33

Country flag
I love my 2015 RC390. Yes it blew a head gasket 90 days out of warranty and the dealer fixed it. It is now a track only bike and I love it and push it regularly almost 10K miles mostly track and hard street riding.

Made lots of good mods, air box, spal fan, high pressure radiator cap, PCV, front and rear suspension, Akro pipe, carbon body work, fairing stay, RCS 15 master cylinder, 320 MM galffer rotor, Marchesini wheels, triple clamp, clip ons, steering damper, rear sets probably some other stuff I forgot.

Great bike.

ST and RC

I'm also looking for my first bike and leaning heavily towards the RC390, but the reliability issues are concerning. For me this will be a learner bike and eventually a track bike once I'm skilled enough to do so. It will not be a commuter. I'm wondering can any of the reliability issues be addressed with aftermarket parts? I know cooling is one issue, is there a better radiator I could buy to alleviate that? In the end, is this the type of bike that stands a good chance of leaving me stranded?

I'm 6'3 so I don't really have many options for a good sporty bike to learn on. Ninja 400 is recommended a lot, but I'd rather not buy new.

Figure I'd post this here instead of creating a similar thread since I'm almost in the same boat.

edit:

I'm also reading that these bikes have a tendency to stall out on their own with the clutch in. Is this true?

Last edited:
I'm also looking for my first bike and leaning heavily towards the RC390, but the reliability issues are concerning. For me this will be a learner bike and eventually a track bike once I'm skilled enough to do so. It will not be a commuter. I'm wondering can any of the reliability issues be addressed with aftermarket parts? I know cooling is one issue, is there a better radiator I could buy to alleviate that? In the end, is this the type of bike that stands a good chance of leaving me stranded?

I'm 6'3 so I don't really have many options for a good sporty bike to learn on. Ninja 400 is recommended a lot, but I'd rather not buy new.

Figure I'd post this here instead of creating a similar thread since I'm almost in the same boat.

edit:

I'm also reading that these bikes have a tendency to stall out on their own with the clutch in. Is this true?

The RC is a great bike but it's pretty compact. As a 6' guy I fit on it but not as well as my 636. The Ninja 400 is a "bigger" bike and better in that regard. You will be fine with riding around on a 390, but you'll be better on a 400.

Heating can be an issue, that can be fixed with an aftermarket fan and with some other mods depending on what you're willing to do. I've never had a clutch stalling issue but my bike is a race bike so YMMV.

And no, there is not a "good" chance you will be left stranded.

Chuditch

edit:

I am the same height or a little taller. I found the RC390 to be surprisingly comfy for a bigger guy, although it certainly helped to get it a little taller in ride height with an Ohlins rear, as well as handling my fat ass sitting on it. I think most cooling issues are dealt with by using a SPAL fan etc the usual mods. I tend not to use my '17 RC for stop start riding, but I have done so with no issues. Mines a street hack that does twisties up in the hills on the weekend.

Bear in mind, that cooling problems are not necessarily related to head gasket failure. My research tends to support that older RCs had some cooling issues whereas the 17 and later are less inclined to overheat.

Buying a secondhand bike is always going to be a bit of a lottery but you can get the bike checked out by a mechanic before you buy it and at least have some idea as to the condition it is in.

John390

my first bike since the mid 90s is the RC390. It fits me like a glove. I looked at the Vitpilen 401 and the Ninja 400. The Swede was a bit too basic. no windscreen etc. It also didn't seem to be as quick handling like the RC390. The Ninja 400 is an excellent bike, but it just didn't handle as well, and its wider because of the twin. The single cylinder engine makes the RC390 so narrow. Just awesome. The Ninja did have a bit smoother engine because its a twin, and its had a bit more power because of the few more cc's in it. Not much, but noticable. The bars on the Ninja are more comfortable I guess as they are taller. I didn't like it as much tbh. The RC390 fits my body exceptionally well. I am 5'10" and 170, but all body types are different as leg length torso length, and arm lenght can be different for the same height.

I didn't even give the other bikes a second thought once I rode the RC. I do like the engine of the Ninja for the smoothness and the bit of extra oomph, but it also will require 8 valves to be adjusted, 2 spark plugs etc

Chuditch

The RC 390 is one of those funny kinds of bikes where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. There is something about it that I found very persuasive. I came from riding bigger bikes, but stopped riding in the late 90s. The beginning of the year, I thought I would go about getting my open license so I could ride bigger bikes legally (never seemed to bother me before then), realising at the tender age of 50 that I should do more of what made me smile and less of what didn't. I bought the little ktm because at the time, it was the cheapest new bike (2017) around with some performance. There was no Ninja 400 available at the time. It was a an impulse buy but I don't regret it. Never had a problem during the run in period, got my confidence back and started to really ride that shit out of the little bike. It's got character, has a great riding feel and although I have spent a fair bit in modifying the suspension and intake, PCV, exhaust etc mods, I don't feel I wasted the money and now that I am ready to get my 'Big Bike' license, I am not in a hurry to get rid of it.

Best way to describe it was from Ari Henning, who called it the 'mini panigale'. If a duc panigale had a runt in the litter, it would be the RC390.

Yes, you could get the Kwaka or the Yamaha, yes they would probably be better commuters, yes they would feel boring compared to the RC390, which is a great bike stock but a real little monster when modded right.

I had to modify the suspension to bring the best out of the bike, ohlins rear and bitubo carts front, but given I weighed 260lb (and am 6" 3") when I bought it i would have needed to do the same to most bikes.... I don't find the riding position a problem but I think you might do if you got all death grippy on it.

Last edited:

John390

not sure the R3 would be a better commuter. Very short gearing, so its always wailing away. Great bike, but not as good a commuter. the Ninja 400 might be better in that respect with the smoother engine and more relaxed riding postion.

Funny Chuditch, we are both the big Five Oh this year and we both stopped riding in the 90's and we both found one of these little things to fit the bill :) interesting hey?

ia02

Country flag
Yes, the newer bikes have had an update to the head with an added bridge for the exhaust.

Hey Matt, any idea when this new head design went on the bikes? It seems KTM was pretty quiet about this update, and part numbers didn't seem to change. I've seen photos of the two heads side by side...the update looks promising. Do all 20017 model year have the new head?

Chuditch

not sure the R3 would be a better commuter. Very short gearing, so its always wailing away. Great bike, but not as good a commuter. the Ninja 400 might be better in that respect with the smoother engine and more relaxed riding postion.

Funny Chuditch, we are both the big Five Oh this year and we both stopped riding in the 90's and we both found one of these little things to fit the bill :) interesting hey?

I don't think we are the only ones. After a while you realise that using only one third of a big bike's power (most of the time everyday riding) but being compromised in handling, weight, cost of tyres and chains etc etc, is not particularly rewarding. A modded RC390 pretty much has everything I would want in a motorcycle, everyone who has ridden my bike come back smiling. The only bike that I want as an addition and not a replacement would be an early Honda interceptor VFR750 (RC30).

Last edited: