Looking to buy an RC390 so I thought I would join the community

BGroupRacing

Hi all,

I have been looking at getting an RC 390 on and off for 3 years. Each time I have gotten close, I bought something else. Now the dealer just up the road is selling one for $4450 out the door... that includes all setup, tax, title, registration, doc fees... all of it. I don't know that I can pass. As I'm just starting to get into track days, I wanted to get opinions on the RC390 and light track duty "out of the box"? I know to race these you need to spend another $4K+, but can you enjoy it on a track as is? I run the slow end of intermediate group.

Thanks,
BGroupRacing

mattv

Country flag
How much do you weigh? I don't have any track experience, but the rear shock was an issue for me in corners. I'm about 190lbs. Other than suspension, my inexperienced (on track) opinion is that it's good to go.

What are you using on the track now? How is it modded? Just so others can give you an idea of how your current setup will differ from the RC.

green_bread

Country flag
On track, the biggest issues you will run in to are the stock tires arent great for track duty, the rearsets will drag once you start carrying any kind of speed, and the rear shock makes the bike feel like its going to break in half if you throw the bike in to a corner while pushing, at all. Those were my experiences, at least.

I have been thinking about selling my 2015 RC 390 race bike. I would be looking for about $4500 for the bike and all of the spares it comes with. Ive got a long list of mods, so shoot me a PM if youre interested and Ill send you a list. :)

McRc390

Country flag
My 2 cents: Just purchased a 2107 exclusively for the track.

You should consider upgrading the rear shock and rear sets right off the bat.
You will want to upgrade the front fork cartridges eventually but you can get away with it stock.. until you can't ;)

Pretty much everything else on the bike is good enough for your purposes.
Even without the suspension and rear sets the bike is definitely capable of light duty track days out of the box -I expect you'll find the limits pretty quickly though.

mcr

BGroupRacing

Thanks so much for the reply

I'm not a lightweight at 205... I'm working on getting back down to 185... should be there by next season. I just bought my current bike a few weeks ago and did my first trackday with it... It is a Triumph Daytona 675R, set up for a 200 lb rider. It has all of the goodies on it, and will be my track bike. I was looking for a lightweight to run on a local gokart track and play with on the big track.

-BGroupRacing

hvlmike

Country flag
I'm the same weight and the stock suspension sucked! I got a Ohlins shock and Andreanni cartridges for under $1500. and it transformed the bike! (did the work myself)

BGroupRacing

I'm the same weight and the stock suspension sucked! I got a Ohlins shock and Andreanni cartridges for under $1500. and it transformed the bike! (did the work myself)

Well I live in Wisconsin, so everything will be shutting down for the winter. Doing the shocks would make for a good winter project, thanks for the input.

-BGroupRacing

zaster

Country flag
I own a '15 that is set up for track and street and I agree with all the above comments.

More aggressive front brake pads, PCV and lighter exhaust is all I added to my bike above and beyond the fore mentioned.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Welcome to the madness!!! :) As others pointed out, the shock and rearsets are some of the big ticket items that need attending to. I can certainly help you there with the JRi rear shock (hands down the best shock for the bike) and the Tyga Rearsets are very affordable... plus I carry tons of spare parts for them so if you have a get-off (let's face it, it's lightweight superbike, you ARE going to crash). Brakes wise, going with the larger disk will help, but if you are JUST starting with racing, probably not a necessity right now. Some guys remove the ABS, some don't. The ABS to -=ME=- isn't a problem, it's a good thing! I use it like a toy sometimes where I can grab a HUGE handful of front brake, and the Bike Just STOPS. :) I would say for just getting started with racing, ABS would likely help you more than the weight will hinder. Some guys don't like it because you have a longer lever pull. Some guys want to stand the bike on the front end with one finger and have almost no lever pull. I like the linear nature of the lever pull and don't mind the longer pull... but there it's largely just up to the rider and their riding style. Plus, it's damn hard to best ABS in braking!

There's LOTS of experience here, so ask away! You'll never see a question go unanswered and the knowledge of the RC390 tribe is REALLY good!!!

BGroupRacing

Welcome to the madness!!! :) As others pointed out, the shock and rearsets are some of the big ticket items that need attending to. I can certainly help you there with the JRi rear shock (hands down the best shock for the bike) and the Tyga Rearsets are very affordable... plus I carry tons of spare parts for them so if you have a get-off (let's face it, it's lightweight superbike, you ARE going to crash). Brakes wise, going with the larger disk will help, but if you are JUST starting with racing, probably not a necessity right now. Some guys remove the ABS, some don't. The ABS to -=ME=- isn't a problem, it's a good thing! I use it like a toy sometimes where I can grab a HUGE handful of front brake, and the Bike Just STOPS. :) I would say for just getting started with racing, ABS would likely help you more than the weight will hinder. Some guys don't like it because you have a longer lever pull. Some guys want to stand the bike on the front end with one finger and have almost no lever pull. I like the linear nature of the lever pull and don't mind the longer pull... but there it's largely just up to the rider and their riding style. Plus, it's damn hard to best ABS in braking!

There's LOTS of experience here, so ask away! You'll never see a question go unanswered and the knowledge of the RC390 tribe is REALLY good!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm not a racer... I just do some light track days. I have a fully set up Daytona 675R for the big track, but I plan on trying the RC390 out on a local gokart track...

On the brakes, as I have a 2018, I thought I had the larger brakes 320 or are guys putting bigger rotors than that on? The 18 also comes with an ABS shutoff, however I don't know that it helps the lever feel like plumbing the ABS out.. I'll have to see what I think of the brakes after playing with it some more.

Thanks,
Steve

green_bread

Country flag
Are you going to replace it with something else? Ninja 400 maybe? I'm hoping we see some more fun small displacement bikes in 2019.

Looking at an R6, right now. I would love to get on a Ninja 400 but the club I race with doesnt allow them in our Ultralight class and probably wont next year, either. Im gonna try stepping up to a bigger bike where there are bigger grids and hopefully, more competition.