New to the RC, from the Bay Area

antarius

What's up ya'll. Picked up a new 2017 RC390 that I'll be using only for track stuff come next year and wanted to say hey. Used to race in the AFM, now just do a trackday here or there... ride a Honda for commuting and an Aprilia Tuono for "fun," decided it was time to add a dedicated track bike back to the stable. Couldn't pass up the deal here locally for a brand new 2017 so I did. (under $4k)

I've read plenty of the "reliability" issues with these things, but quite honestly.... the other options out there just didn't do it for me -- and having owned a Superduke before, I felt it was time to get back into the KTM crowd.

Lookin' forward to putting a few street miles on this thing to break it in and do its first service, then start on getting 'er track ready. Not going to race, so it'll be basic stuff at first (suspension, PCV, maybe an exhaust.. ) and then figure out what I don't want after that.

I'm confident I'll take out the ABS at least to the front caliper, but other than that and researching how to get rid of all the SMOG stuff, I think the rest will stay as-is for a year or so.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
What's up ya'll. Picked up a new 2017 RC390 that I'll be using only for track stuff come next year and wanted to say hey.

Welcome to the community Antarius! :) The reliability issues are concentrated on the forum as any time somebody pops a headgasket, it shows up here. Lots of guys are NOT popping gaskets tho, and if/when it does happen, KTM has been covering it... well... so long as your dealer goes to bat for you. Some dealers in CA have been less than spectacular at times, and one member (Richard) got particularly screwed. For the most part tho, KTM -=SEEMS=- to have resolved the head gasket issue and if it does happen, just make sure your dealer gets you the updated cylinder and head.

When you're ready for parts, I'm here and have near everything you'll need to turn that bike into a carboned up (or fiberglass) knife fighter of a track bike!!! :) LOL

antarius

Thanks for the heads up! I own an Aprilia so am familiar with the only-bad-news syndrome of forums, and am not afraid to do work so ya! I'm looking forward to the experience of this bad boy!

hvlmike

Country flag
Just got one myself a little while ago....fun little bike. Once you get the suspension sorted out it handles awesome! Me and my wife will be doing a lot of local trackdays on the RC (my wife is an instructor with PTT). We're doing the TH west course on the 2nd/3rd...should be a blast on the shorter course!

antarius

Nice! I'll be out there with PTT on the 29th but on my Tuono not the RC. The RC will do a little street time to get broken in, then over the winter it'll get track prepped.

Hey! Fellow Aprilia ('10 RSV4 Factory) and RC390 owner. Check out my thread, the RC is my dedicated track bike and I did a few things to make sure it survives the heat/HG issues and crashes. I'm out of Sacramento.