New to the RC390 in Columbus, OH

nagata

Figure I ought to make the obligatory intro post :) I've been riding since 2005, have had 5 bikes in that time ranging from 500-1000cc and 1990-2006 models; my current main ride is an 03 Yamaha YZF600R w/ almost 32k on it (and still doing track days :D), but I've been intrigued by the RC390 since it came to the states. I've had the itch to try something different, something much newer with more tech goodies, and my wife has expressed more interest in riding (she's had her license for 10 years but hasn't ridden much), so the smaller RC seems to fit all desires; given how much the sub-400cc class has exploded, I also seriously considered the Ninja 300, but the RC is more intriguing, better looking, and seems to be the consensus overall best performer (but not a sterling reliability report).

Anyway, happened to find a used '15 in Detroit with 390 miles on it, 1st owner purchased it new in March of this year so it still has 9-10 months of warranty, and I got it for the surprisingly low price of $4500 all said and done. Picked it up last Friday, put about 50 miles on it, it's a lot of fun to ride, so lightweight and flickable, tho certainly much different from the inline-4s I've been accustomed to for the past 10 years, haha. I'm looking forward to learning this machine and hoping for a lot of great miles between my wife and I, though I'm not super excited for the 630 mile valve check and I'm not ignorant to the reliability/quality concerns (but hoping for the best and I'll take whatever steps I can to help it out).