Nightmare RC390

Jezer

Yes its a fabulous looking fabulous handling bike on the open road but my UK machine only just twelve months old has been back at the dealers for about six weeks now trying to solve a stall issue - in busy traffic at a standstill it suddenly cuts out, not always but enough to be both a hindrance and a danger to my and other road users safety. Does anyone else have any experience of this please? I know its a high compression single that is lumpy on tick over but is this acceptable for a new bike and is it an inherent fault in the RC390? I have been fobbed of several times by the dealer and offered compensation by way of a free service and several electrical parts have been replaced as 'pre-cautionary'. But hang on - with modern computer engine management systems surely the exact problem can be pin pointed? I asked for a replacement bike or a refund and this has been ignored and I am now told by the dealer that the engine cut out is something to be expected with the RC390. I have treated it like a baby running in it, keeping its gorgeous looks pristine and my warranty is fast running out. Can anyone advise please? I am new to KTMs but was warned by a mechanic mate that build quality is not trhe best, yet the 390 Duke (same engine) is well proven. Is it the same engine? Really appreciate feedback on this please as I cannot believe this bike stalls in traffic and nobody can sort. KTM UK Head Office dont seem to want to know as they do not reply to my direct emails. Thanks

rippedcb

Interesting that you are having this issue with a UK bike. Most ppl who have had this issue have been North American owners. The theory is that this is caused due to super rich AFR down low on NA ECU maps. That is because of the extremely strict California emissions standards KTM had to put a different fuel map on the NA bikes than the EU bikes.

I inherited the stalling issue after installing Akro map on the ECU. I didn't have this issue before. I remided by installing Bazzaz and leaning out 0K -25K. (counter intuitive i know, you always want to add more fuel.. but not for our bikes)

Which fuel map do you have on your bike? is it still stock? has the dealership put a different fuel map on it? have you done any mods to the bike? try getting your dealership to install a different map on the ECU and see if it helps.

Jezer

Interesting that you are having this issue with a UK bike. Most ppl who have had this issue have been North American owners. The theory is that this is caused due to super rich AFR down low on NA ECU maps. That is because of the extremely strict California emissions standards KTM had to put a different fuel map on the NA bikes than the EU bikes.

I inherited the stalling issue after installing Akro map on the ECU. I didn't have this issue before. I remided by installing Bazzaz and leaning out 0K -25K. (counter intuitive i know, you always want to add more fuel.. but not for our bikes)

Which fuel map do you have on your bike? is it still stock? has the dealership put a different fuel map on it? have you done any mods to the bike? try getting your dealership to install a different map on the ECU and see if it helps.

Interesting. I have no idea what the dealer has done. I have asked them to inform me and nothing has been forthcoming. They tried convincing me the problem was because they pressure washed my bike!! this is not the kind of bike I would mess with, partly because I have limited knowledge of modern bikes.

rippedcb

Interesting. I have no idea what the dealer has done. I have asked them to inform me and nothing has been forthcoming. They tried convincing me the problem was because they pressure washed my bike!! this is not the kind of bike I would mess with, partly because I have limited knowledge of modern bikes.

Your dealer "PRESSURE WASHED" your bike?? lol I wouldn't be taking my bike there again.

Why not ask your dealer to try one more thing? just re-flash the stock EU fuel map on the ECU and see if that makes a difference or try the Indian map.. 2 min job could make all the difference.

that's where i'd be starting...

KTMGene390

I too believe I am having the same stalling issue! It cuts out when leaving stop lights mainly the first 3000 rpms. I have the Bazzaz Z-AFM so while I can't log A/F data below 3k rpm's I can still see the real time A/F at idle thorough 3k which on my bike is 11:1. It flattens out after that to 13.4 through redline.

However, I believe the actual cause is the throttle body needs to be cleaned. In my case the inside of the air box as well as the throttle body is covered in excess oil from the K&N air filter being over oiled from the factory.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Interesting that you are having this issue with a UK bike. Most ppl who have had this issue have been North American owners. The theory is that this is caused due to super rich AFR down low on NA ECU maps. That is because of the extremely strict California emissions standards....remided by installing Bazzaz and leaning out 0K -25K... .

So, do you have lean vs rich reversed? my AFR meter shows my stock 390 as way lean, greater 18.5:1 at idle, gets down toward 14:1 with some load / throttle. This follows the blue line on the dyno pull in the MNNTHBX Bazzaz thread.

Having all the same problems with my RC 390 - 10,000 k on the clock now - This is beyond a joke especially if you are not a tech savvy and my KTM dealer certainly is no help ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Jezer

Thanks for feedback so far. I have uploaded this short video on my YouTube channel: [video=youtube;4confX1bGyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4confX1bGyQ[/video]

Yea isn't it crap that a few of us are dealing with this issue - I agree it is dangerous and SHAME on KTM for not getting on to this problem someone will be hurt or worse sooner or later - there should be a major recall with a fix - ( under warranty) you cannot sell
this type of product with this type of fault and just ignore the issue- Yes it is all good for the tech savvy owners out there who get a fix eventually by strapping on Power commander V modules etc and have it remapped but what about the average owner who has forked out good money for a bike that doesn't even idle and stalls - shit my Yamaha1974 DT 125 with carbs had a smoother more reliable idle than this sucker and certainly did not stall -

KTM FIX THE PROBLEM DO A RECALL for SAFETY PURPOSES ALONE.

Seth

Country flag
https://youtu.be/iwMNGlWuDKE Awesome video from our friends over in India. Not only good story line but I love the light hearted try to break the taillight with a tennis ball! I hope this helps or at least gives you another thing to look for.

Last edited:

Bags

Having all the same problems with my RC 390 - 10,000 k on the clock now - This is beyond a joke especially if you are not a tech savvy and my KTM dealer certainly is no help ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

My bike did something similar and the solution appeared to be the dealer replacing the throttle body. They installed a new map that didn't make a difference. The other thing to look into is the lean angle sensor. That would cause a bike to stall as well. If the sensor is intermittent at least.

Bagwell

Country flag
Did anyone in this thread read about someone else in another thread having a problem and the dealer finally replaced the throttle body because something was wrong with it and that solved the problem of stalling or something? I havent looked for it just yet but remember reading about it. Also re mapping the system to solve the problem?

Jezer

Yea isn't it crap that a few of us are dealing with this issue - I agree it is dangerous and SHAME on KTM for not getting on to this problem someone will be hurt or worse sooner or later - there should be a major recall with a fix - ( under warranty) you cannot sell
this type of product with this type of fault and just ignore the issue- Yes it is all good for the tech savvy owners out there who get a fix eventually by strapping on Power commander V modules etc and have it remapped but what about the average owner who has forked out good money for a bike that doesn't even idle and stalls - shit my Yamaha1974 DT 125 with carbs had a smoother more reliable idle than this sucker and certainly did not stall -

KTM FIX THE PROBLEM DO A RECALL for SAFETY PURPOSES ALONE.

I sent my video to my dealer who I bought the bike (so the comment don't go near your dealer again is not helpful because legally I have no option). To my shock the dealer and ktm withdrew their offer of compensation and stated there was no fault with the bike in a "without prejudice" email The reason being that in the video to get my point across I deliberately stalled the engine because the engine had actually stalled minutes before I started filming and the problem is intermittent. I agreed to take the video down as clearly I had made an error but the twist in the story is that one of the service managers defended my integrity in that I made the video to try to get technical feedback from other ktm owners. They are now asking me to sit around the table and brainstorm the problem! I am not a ktm expert, just a very experienced bike owner. It stalled again today and I simply want a fix and as you say it is a factory recall job. I blame ktm for but the law states the dealer I bought the bike off is responsible. In every other way the. 390rc is great (except the mirrors are dangerous) and I have given very truthful objective YouTube reviews of it but nobody will fix the problem and I know the dealer has done their best. I cannot believe it is not fixable. But my intuition tells me there is far too much reliance on computer engine management system codes and people behind desks hide behind whst the computer tells them. At lest the dealer is accepting my evidence is genuine despite my artistic licence in the short video. why would I lie about this and at the same time rave about the bike's open road handling. It is a danger in city traffic. Period.

Last edited:

Jezer

The problem persists despite assurance from my dealer they have done everything they can and with their communications with KTM (UK) they say the bike is running perfectly . One comment here suggested I steer clear of the dealer but I am bound legally as the dealer sold me the bike, for them to sort it and I suspect they have exhausted their expertise. I think the problem is clearly with KTM and I am being advised there is no problem!!! I suggest a big problem is relying on computer error codes and that is why a forum like this is invaluable to get 'out of the box' thinking around a shared issue. If there is a problem especially one affecting rider safety, there should be a recall but KTM (UK) will not acknowledge there is a problem!!

Yea Jezer I got sick of hitting my head on a brick wall over this one - I did install a Bazzaz to see if this problem would go away but unfortunately not with the Bazzaz EFI to be honest the Bazzaz is a load of rubbish as you cannot just eliminate the O2 sensor - it just does not work regardless of what sales staff say pushing this product - I have removed the Bazzaz .

I saw on another thread here where a member had the same idle stall issues and installed the PCV and the last post he says it fixed the idle / stall issue . I have had extensive conversations with a member on the forum who knows his stuff tuning wise and I have now decided to purchase and install a pre mapped (for my mods) a PCV - I will keep you posted if the issue disappears or is still there after the install - But I still say Shame on you KTM you know there is an issue and a dangerous one at that just search "KTM rc 390 / duke 390 idle issue and there are many many owners with this problem - Shame KTM recall -

If anyone is considering purchasing a new KTM RC 390 or Duke 390 be cautious you could end up with a lemon coloured one like many of us have !!!

RobbiRob76

This makes me totally rethink adding any sort of exhaust... Not saying that is the cause, but it is one more variable. I had one warranty issue with the cooling fan eating the bearing, but other than that zero issues. I want to do an exhaust, but fearful of the bikes reliability... No fault of exhaust companies, I love those guys, and god bless them for offering that bitchn exhaust and license plate brackets. Just need to be assured the bike wont fail by adding anything to affect motor.

DCMoney

Country flag
Has anyone with the idle issue tried replacing the electronic Idle adjuster? Shame its not like my D675 where for $30 I replaced it with a manual adjuster...

And Is there a way to reset the TPS on these yet? On my D675 and 1198 I could plug in through OBD2 and reset the throttle position sensor.

Think this would be a really good place to start.

aPs

Hi All,
Did anyone have any success in solving this issue?
I have had a few issues with My Superduke 990 in the earlier days, very similar.
Now these are all fixed but it took a bit of effort.
I am not sure that the same will apply to the 390's but for the 990 I found a good dyno tuner and used the Tuneboy software (others available) problem fixed.
Please note there is a little known trick that needs to be done after every tune.
Start the bike and let it idle for at least 20 mins which resets the ECU to the new tune.
Do not touch the throttle or any control and if possible put the bike on a paddock stand.
As I said I don't know if this applies to the new 390's but being KTM I would suspect it will.
Good luck.

aP