# of Lemons vs Good Ones out there...

kaede

Hi,

Joined here a while back because was looking to pick up a brand new 2017 RC 390. Have had my deposit down for one for a while, but no words from stealership yet.

Regardless, been doing a LOT of reading, and it seems like the reliability thing is always an issue (head gasket problems, electronic failures, heating issues etc.). Since MOST people only come onto the forum to report or ask for help when there are problems, I just want to know anyone have any idea how consistent are the RC 390 coming up with these issues?

In UK/Europe/India i am sure there is definitely a higher amount of RC 390/ Duke 390 around, how consistent are all these problems happening? If most of them are coming up with issues or problems, wouldn't KTM take serious consideration in fixing the design issues/manufacturing/assembly QC? Are the # of problems reported on here and online really skewed because of the fact that only owners with problem report them online and creates a sense of unreliability for the 390's?

Thanks. Just started doubting myself as to whether or not to continue to wait for the 2017 RC 390, or should i go for something more "reliable" (Japanese branded 300 - 500cc class)... Thanks!

D

Deleted member 452

My head gasket, clutch, and water pump all failed before 5K miles and then the motor was ruined by 13K miles so I had to replace it. I begged KTM to replace my motor after the first round of problems but they wouldn't knowing that I had a time bomb that would blow up after the warranty expired. Ari with Motorcyclist Magazine just mentioned meeting with KTM to discuss similar mechanical failures with his RC390 in this month's issue and they still deny there's a problem. I love my bike but I'll never buy another KTM/Husky product.

OldVet

No one talks online about the ones that haven't had any issues... All they post about are the ones that have had problems...

14,405 miles on mine with no issues other than a leaky fork seal recently and most nuts and bolts coming loose, you need to check them often.

=maz=

Country flag
No one talks online about the ones that haven't had any issues... All they post about are the ones that have had problems....

Except there are quite a few of the members here who DO post that they've had no problem.
Of the 5 RC390's that race in my state(only 4 raced a full season) at least 3 have blown head gaskets...2 of them have gone more than once. The VIN numbers are not even close so you can't put it down to a dodgy batch either.

The only way to be sure, IMHO, is to pull the motor apart and rebuild it yourself.
That said, when it's all going well they are mint fun to ride/race...just don't expect the sort of reliability you'd see with a Ninja 300 straight outta the box.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

No one talks online about the ones that haven't had any issues... All they post about are the ones that have had problems...

14,405 miles on mine with no issues other than a leaky fork seal recently and most nuts and bolts coming loose, you need to check them often.

Most people don't ride these bikes like you and me ; )

Maddog Reynolds

My 2015 has had minor niggles over 5,000 miles. One fork seal blew at 2,000 miles. The steering head bearing loosened off badly just recently and I notice the rearset gearchange is very loose in the joints. I ride empty roads and I don't hammer it, but I don't hang around, either. Half throttle to 7,000 rpm through the gears once the engine is hot, but it goes to 9,000+ on full throttle at least once a day. Time will tell at the big service with valve clearances at about 10,000 miles.

kaede

ya, my main purpose with this bike is for commute as well as weekend rides in the mountains/ twisties. Not intending to push the bike hard often and seriously not considering tracking it unless i do a full rebuild of the engine first to make sure that the build is solid.

It's just that the 390 engine (from the duke) has been around for SO long (since 2013?) and i just couldn't udnerstand the fact that their QC is continuing to be dodgey and problems pop up left right and center. That's why i am wondering whether or not problems being reported only represents a small part of the general 390 population, or whether or not it is more prominent and say like 50%+ of all the 390's gets these major problems...

Love the bike, love the looks, rode on one for a couple times and definitely plenty of fun... but ya...

Thanks guys!

yourlastvisit

My 2015 in India has around 20000 kms on it, and is going good. Unlike the US, we don't have many racetracks in here, so most of the throttle whacking happens on the highways. From what I can remember, I once had an open stretch of around 13-14kms all to myself and boy what a wonder she was, maintained a constant speed of 174-176kmph in top gear for almost 10kms and even topped out at 177kmph(speedo indicated) at one point. Touchwood, no issues experienced. And it's not just the highways where she roars, I be doing power wheelies when ever I get a chance on the town roads.
Trust me, the amount of fun that this bike is, be it the DUKE or RC, cannot be compared to any other JAPANESE ride.
[emoji18][emoji18]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick

My 2015 was an endless series of breakdowns and it ended up in with lawyers. I expected some issues with a first model year bike but, it was KTM North America's response to my problems that'll make me never buy a KTM again. They were horrible! With that said, I've gotten the general impression that newer models are having fewer issues but, that's just an impression of forum posts.

cornerslider

My 2016 was perfect.... If I could still ride it comfortably, I'd still have it..... I bought an "old-guy" sport bike ((FZ-07).

I've raced mine for over a year now. Last winter I had the head gasket replaced for preventable maintenance. We found the exhaust cam was toast due to the valves loosening/ valve retainers stretching. I had the valves checked previously at 10 hours and this was found at 26 hours. Other then that I haven't had any mechanical issues and I really enjoy racing this bike. 2015 RC390 Cup Bike

D

Deleted member 452

My 2016 was perfect.... If I could still ride it comfortably, I'd still have it..... I bought an "old-guy" sport bike ((FZ-07).

And how many miles did you ride? Seems like 95% of the people on this forum (and the Duke forum) like to say their bikes are totally reliable after riding less than 1K miles (I've put 1,100 miles on my new motor over the last 3 weeks)...

cornerslider

And how many miles did you ride? Seems like 95% of the people on this forum (and the Duke forum) like to say their bikes are totally reliable after riding less than 1K miles (I've put 1,100 miles on my new motor over the last 3 weeks)...

2,100 miles, most of them track miles-

D

Deleted member 452

That's a lot of track miles but to put it into perspective, it's only half the number of miles recommended for an oil change so I don't think it really tells us if your bike will become a "lemon or a good one"...

cornerslider

That's a lot of track miles but to put it into perspective, it's only half the number of miles recommended for an oil change so I don't think it really tells us if your bike will become a "lemon or a good one"...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with KTM.... You seem like you have a certain amount of "anger".... I'm not really sure what your problem with me is? I was just trying to help other members out with what I experienced with my first KTM? It's pretty obvious that your mind is already made up about KTM, so I won't bore you with all those pesky "facts" about track riding, compared to driving into town to top-off your tank..... You seem like the type of person that wants the performance of a Ducati, with the reliability of a Goldwing, for the price of a Grom.... Maybe a unicorn [emoji882] is in your future??? I think I speak for most members here, when I say "don't be a dick"....

D

Deleted member 452

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with KTM.... You seem like you have a certain amount of "anger".... I'm not really sure what your problem with me is? I was just trying to help other members out with what I experienced with my first KTM? It's pretty obvious that your mind is already made up about KTM, so I won't bore you with all those pesky "facts" about track riding, compared to driving into town to top-off your tank..... You seem like the type of person that wants the performance of a Ducati, with the reliability of a Goldwing, for the price of a Grom.... Maybe a unicorn [emoji882] is in your future??? I think I speak for most members here, when I say "don't be a dick"....

I think you're way off base... The point of this thread is to determine if KTM has improved build quality on these bikes (not attack me personally). People with less than 10K miles really can't say if their bike's reliable or not.