Oil filter cover screws, or when "snug" is still too much

Treachery

Country flag
I'm a big believer in torque wrenches. I have three, all of which I trust the calibration on...except maybe the one that goes down to inch pounds (or low Nm). When I was learning to turn my own wrenches, I learned (by breaking things) to turn wrenches left handed to keep from over-tightening.

As I posted in my oil change early thread, and in one other, I mentioned to be careful with the oil filter cover. The torque spec on those two screws is only 8 Nm (5 ft lb). But when I went to torque the OE screws, it just felt way too tight. So, I put the torque wrench down, backed them out and tightened them up "snug." Today, I was doing a second change. I had cut the torque figure for the big drain plug and the smaller one, just on principle. Actually, I did it on the smaller screen/plug, because the O-ring got mangled when I installed it last time. That's a different subject. So, I was going to install the oil filter cover. I double checked the torque figure and the setting on the wrench, but it immediately seemed to be going on too tight. So, I backed it off, and with a quarter inch ratchet, holding it at the head of the ratchet, I went to snug it up...and the head of one of the screws broke off. :mad::mad::mad: Completely out of character, there was no profanity.

I was ready to head to the store for a reverse drill bit and an EZ-out, but before I left, I looked to see if there was any way to back the screw out. I was able to snag the end with a small screwdriver, back it out far enough to grab it with a pair of needle-nose, then the rest of the way by hand. I still went to the store, but for new screws and washers (the OE screws have a shoulder, so a washer is needed). I paid no attention to the torque spec..."snug" suits me just fine, thank you very much.

Take home: It's not my place to tell you to ignore KTM's instructions. But if my experience is any guide, replace the screws at your next change, and don't use the OE torque spec. 8Nm ain't jack, but if you pull the threads out of the cases, you'll have bigger heartache than I had by a wide margin.

HTH; Good Night, and Good Luck.

Take home: It's not my place to tell you to ignore KTM's instructions. But if my experience is any guide, replace the screws at your next change, and don't use the OE torque spec. 8Nm ain't jack, but if you pull the threads out of the cases, you'll have bigger heartache than I had by a wide margin.

Yup - The smart wrench: Choke up, snug up, add a little blue lock-tite or safety wire for security.
Torque specs are for up to a maximum not necessarily a tighten to value

Treachery

Country flag
"choke up, snug up" Good rule of thumb. You track folks who might be doing oil changes at the track should probably pack a spare set of screws if you haven't replaced them. For reference, the screw is M5, 0.80 thread pitch, 17mm length (a nick over 5/8").

Treachery

Country flag
Of course this one is a little shorter, and I suspect the "intact" one is a little longer
eek7.gif
than originally:

Oh_Snap_A.jpg

The code on the head of the bolt suggests that the material is compressed Dentyne wrappers...

Tobi-Miller

Hi everyone,
I know that thread is a bit old but I still want to say/ask something:
Did my first oil change last weekend (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] one after first service) and putall my trust in to the manual. I ended up breaking the screws but was able to snag the end with a screwdriver to get the skank out of the engine block.

Can someone tell me if there are any numbers on the head of the original screws? I threw all the broken parts away. Just want to know the property class.

Thanks!!!

74d34h

When I change the oil and filters on the RC390 I order the kit which includes new screws, filters, and orings. Is this issue a result of reusing the screws? They feel like one time use to me so I continuing the plan of replace it all with new.

simpletty

Country flag
thats a pretty weak bolt if spec is 5ft/lb and it breaks. Probably made of some real cheap metal. Thanks for the heads up, I have plenty of new bolts at work with shoulders and will have many extras on hand to replace those trashy ones when the time comes.

Tobi-Miller

I ordered an original kit as well. I was surprised how much was in there but no new screws for the oil filter cap.
Next time i will go back to the original screws. I am a bit doubtful cause maybe KTM put some thoughts in it: to protect the threadholes of the engine block. After all the block is made of aluminium (at least I think so… or some sort of cast).

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I replace them with S.S. bolts. The cases are extremely soft, I have seen threads pull out of big KTM engines, same M5 thread and material. Be careful on torquing.

Treachery

Country flag
I don't know what metal grade the OE bolts were, but they were inadequate for the task. That being the case, I was concerned that good SS bolts would be stronger than the threads in the engine cases, leading to my torque spec now being "snug."

MrGrody

I replaced mine with Allen wrench (t handle screws). Home depot had an exact match for cheap. Easy. Done.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^
Good info, this. If lower numbers = softer metal, a birthday candle is about 1.6, and the OE bolts are about .9. JS.

74d34h

Well, just did a full oil and filters change on the RC390 and the Oil Screen Screw plug M17x1.5 has a torque of 8.9lbft did not make it to 8.9 before it snapped off. Thank God there was enough left to use pliers and twist it back out of the engine. I reused the old one. From now on no torqueing during oil changes on this bike. Jeez!

Attachments

• IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3343.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 310

MrGrody

Well, just did a full oil and filters change on the RC390 and the Oil Screen Screw plug M17x1.5 has a torque of 8.9lbft did not make it to 8.9 before it snapped off. Thank God there was enough left to use pliers and twist it back out of the engine. I reused the old one. From now on no torqueing during oil changes on this bike. Jeez!
After my experience and seeing this I guess ill just order Spare plug bolts. Jeez

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk