Old dog, new tricks....

cornerslider

Hello All,

I've been lurking a while here, and just created a profile. I have a Supermoto background. I will always LOVE riding Supermoto on the track, but a SM track bike is just a lot of constant wrenching..... Got to be a bit too much for my likes.
Last fall, I took my wife 2013 Honda CBR250R to the track, as my "back-up" bike. I rode it for one session, and enjoyed it MUCH more than I thought I would? I ended up riding it the rest of the day! It was really underpowered, but a ton of fun on a smaller track. I knew that day, that I wanted a smaller sportbike, but more power than the CBR250R has (even mildly modified). The obvious choice was the KTM RC390. I ordered a 2016 model a week later. I already ordered the majority of the aftermarket upgrades for it. I hope the 2016 is worth the wait..........

emiller

Country flag
Congrats!!

I don't know much about motorcycles I do time attack on my Daily Driver (Evo 10) but at this point is so heavily modified that is not as reliable as I will like it to be and well I got the RC 390 as a back up.

So far I love it, is easy to work with, it rattles, you get allot of feed back from the bike, is very nimble and the gears are short, kind of reminds me of my car but in bike, so far I love it and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

psych0hans

Country flag
Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Upgrade the brakes and suspension first, everything else can follow.

reenmachine

Country flag
Welcome! You're going to love this bike.

I'll be getting my first taste of Supermoto next month at SoCal Supermoto School and knowing me I'll catch the bug. What was so high maintenance about it?

cornerslider

The constant oil/filter changes, chain sliders/chains, brake pads, exhaust re-packing. and valve checks. I had a CRF450R (recommended valve checks every 6 hours). I checked mine religiously, granted they never move once in the 48 hours I put on it.... The motors are pretty" high-strung", high compression, and low oil volume (my entire oil capacity was .9 quarts). Running a single cylinder with a small amount of oil, at sustained high rpm, and speeds that a "motocross bike" was never really designed to be at, well- it just wears stuff out at an accelerated rate..... That being said, I've never had more fun on two wheels in my entire life!!!! There just came a time, when I looked in the mirror at my 47 year old face, and realized that I had pretty much gone as far as I could really go with supermoto. Too old to race, and the vet class is probably one of the most competitive classes in my area. All the guys that got too old to race motocross, built supermotos, and REALLY know how to ride! You will have an absolute blast at the school! Good luck-

RobbiRob76

Welcome! You're going to love this bike.

I'll be getting my first taste of Supermoto next month at SoCal Supermoto School and knowing me I'll catch the bug. What was so high maintenance about it?

Brian is a good dude, and a buddy. I raced Supermoto for a couple years and Formula Singles for five years which is where my interest for the RC came from. Enjoy the school.

reenmachine

Country flag
The constant oil/filter changes, chain sliders/chains, brake pads, exhaust re-packing. and valve checks. I had a CRF450R (recommended valve checks every 6 hours). I checked mine religiously, granted they never move once in the 48 hours I put on it.... The motors are pretty" high-strung", high compression, and low oil volume (my entire oil capacity was .9 quarts). Running a single cylinder with a small amount of oil, at sustained high rpm, and speeds that a "motocross bike" was never really designed to be at, well- it just wears stuff out at an accelerated rate..... That being said, I've never had more fun on two wheels in my entire life!!!! There just came a time, when I looked in the mirror at my 47 year old face, and realized that I had pretty much gone as far as I could really go with supermoto. Too old to race, and the vet class is probably one of the most competitive classes in my area. All the guys that got too old to race motocross, built supermotos, and REALLY know how to ride! You will have an absolute blast at the school! Good luck-

I guess at 43 I have a few good years left in me ;).

Brian is a good dude, and a buddy. I raced Supermoto for a couple years and Formula Singles for five years which is where my interest for the RC came from. Enjoy the school.

I'm sure it'll be a blast. I'm going with a handful of friends so hopefully things don't get too out of hand!

RobbiRob76

VIR.JPG This was a lot of maintenance. CRF450RR. We built our first one (2003) long before Roland Sands, ever thought of his. The maintenance was all the things "Cornerslider" mentioned, plus a fresh top end including cylinder every 10 hours. 15-33 gearing. Nylon chain slider lasted (2) weekends. The chain literally laid on the swing arm.