Only 5K miles on stock tires

corners

Anybody get more than 5k on the stock tires?

My rear tire is showing cords after a little more than 5k and needs to be changed. Kept 'em @ 29psi the whole time.

Manual says Metzler Sportec M5 (which most places are out of stock) but mine came with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II so that's what I'm putting back on though I might go with a 140 instead of a 150.

corners

Yea, just thought other folks had different stock tires, maybe all US bikes come with the Pirelli...

Willasan

Check out the S20 Evo by Bridgestone. That's going to be my next street tire selection for my RC I believe.

MrGrody

Check out the S20 Evo by Bridgestone. That's going to be my next street tire selection for my RC I believe.
Will be my choice as well. Dealer that sold me the Rc390 gave me a $200 gift card cuz I told em Rosso II tires suck lol.

So S20 Evo it is for next set.

MrGrody

Wow, I know ppl who race on Rosso II and stick just fine. I guess its all subjective tho. :)
My rossoII haven't failed me yet or even given me a chance to doubt them. I just consider them a step below what I was always used to . Running bt003 . So far they have impressed me but I'm still looking to not have them again.

ArkansasDave

My rossoII haven't failed me yet or even given me a chance to doubt them. I just consider them a step below what I was always used to . Running bt003 . So far they have impressed me but I'm still looking to not have them again.

So they do everything you ask of them but they suck? Or that's just what you told them for a free $200?

MrGrody

So they do everything you ask of them but they suck? Or that's just what you told them for a free $200?
No. They don't suck. I said they suck before ever trying them to see what they'd say. They then offered the gift card. I accepted the card willingly lol. The tires have performed just fine tho.

Willasan

My Rossos haven't been bad at all. I actually like them a lot. After doing a bit of research and reading some comparisons, the S20s just seem to be a better choice when the time comes. They are also cheaper than the Pirellis.

ArkansasDave

No. They don't suck. I said they suck before ever trying them to see what they'd say. They then offered the gift card. I accepted the card willingly lol. The tires have performed just fine tho.

Oh ok, I'm glad we cleared that up. Good job on the free $200.

MrGrody

Oh ok, I'm glad we cleared that up. Good job on the free $200.
Lol ya. They showed me my payment price and asked if we had a deal. I then brought up the tires and said I'd sign the line if they gave me tires cuz I didn't like the ones on the bike. That's when they told me about the gift card. . I was gunna sign either way but sweet card on the side.

Asher

Im on the stock metzelers and they seem to be doing the job quite nicely. I will be swapping them out for super corsas soon and keeping them as spares but i havent got anything to complain about. I have had a few big slides and tucked the front in the wet (saved it) but put the blame on the suspension not the tyres.

MNNTHBX

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
A large factor in short tire life it the fact this is a single. The tire sees far more of a "pulse" driving the bike forward than in would on say an inline four. In that regard, the KTM is similar to a motard, which even ridden easy will eat tires at a rate far quicker than other bikes...

ArkansasDave

A large factor in short tire life it the fact this is a single. The tire sees far more of a "pulse" driving the bike forward than in would on say an inline four. In that regard, the KTM is similar to a motard, which even ridden easy will eat tires at a rate far quicker than other bikes...

Yeah those inline 4's have tires last forever...

Ryanthegreat1

Yeah I doubt I will get 5000 out of my rear tire. Running the Rosso II.

Not sure how well I like it as a street tire, it does not grip very well when the temps drop and there is no heat in the tire. Had a couple of big slides out of the rear not doing anything too crazy.

Thankfully the RC390 is a well balanced and forgiving machine.

I think I might try the Pilot Road 3 when the stock tire gives up the ghost. I like to ride year round here in the PNW where is is wet and below 50 outside for half the year.

Last edited: