PCV Questions

Child

Hi Chaps

I have a few questions on the above, I have read through various threads but just need a bit of clarification before I buy. Here goes

1. If I buy a PCV from say a forum sponsor it will come with a map kindly supplied by them, otherwise it will come with Dynojets RC map?

2. The PCV will also come with a O2 optimiser as standard otherwise it won't work. Is that right?

3. Once i have the PCV, can I add a Wide band commander 2? Would this allow me to then change my exhaust and/or air filter, and the PCV and WBC2 will auto tune for that or any other modification I do?

Hope this all makes sense

Thanks in advance

msquared

1. If I buy a PCV from say a forum sponsor it will come with a map kindly supplied by them, otherwise it will come with Dynojets RC map?

This will depend on the sponsor and your setup. Dynojet has two maps for the RC one is for stock and the other is with an Arrow Exhaust. Since most of the sponsors sell different exhaust systems they will have different maps available. I have worked with a few of the sponsors on this site and all of them have been super helpful and super responsive I am sure anyone you purchased from would be willing to provide a map that was "close" to your setup.

2. The PCV will also come with a O2 optimiser as standard otherwise it won't work. Is that right?

It does come with an O2 optimizer. I did not install mine so I cannot comment on how well it works. My understanding is that with the O2 optimizer, even without the WB2 you should be able to resolve your rough idle issues.

3. Once i have the PCV, can I add a Wide band commander 2? Would this allow me to then change my exhaust and/or air filter, and the PCV and WBC2 will auto tune for that or any other modification I do?

That is the idea yes, the WB2 enables the "auto tune" feature in the PCV and if it is configured correctly (Hard Racing configures them properly before shipping) will also provide a low voltage signal back to the ECU so that you can tune the closed loop part of the system as well.

I have been working on a post review / impressions of the PCV with the WB2 so I will go ahead and finish that up and post it in a bit; otherwise feel free to ask whatever questions you might have.

Child

Thx M for the replies. So PCV alone, is the O2 sensor replaced with the optimiser. But if using the PCV & WBC2 combo both the sensor and optimiser need to be used. This would require some welding??

msquared

Thx M for the replies. So PCV alone, is the O2 sensor replaced with the optimiser. But if using the PCV & WBC2 combo both the sensor and optimiser need to be used. This would require some welding??

With the PCV alone the O2 optimizer is placed in-line with the stock O2 sensor, here is a picture of the one I did not use.

IMG_4900.jpg

With the PCV and WB2 combo, you use the wide band O2 sensor that comes with the WB2 and it fits into the existing bung on the exhaust. You remove the old O2 sensor but leave it attached to the wiring harness and splice the new low voltage connection from the WB2 into the stock wiring harness. Then you simply zip-tie the old O2 sensor up out of the way. There has been lots of discussion about how having the old O2 sensor zip-tied up out of the way bugs people...I get that...but if you do not do that you will get a check engine light (CEL) and honestly once you zip tie it up you forget its there.

ASM

Do yourself a favor and contact Chad (cjwell here on the forum) at KTM Performance (site sponsor). He includes a map of your choice that is suited best to your setup if you buy the PCV from him. He is also the man to talk to when it comes to PCV and RC390...or tuning in general for that matter...

Muckabucka

Country flag
Yes, talk to Chad. Why bother with anything else?

Do yourself a favor and contact Chad (cjwell here on the forum) at KTM Performance (site sponsor). He includes a map of your choice that is suited best to your setup if you buy the PCV from him. He is also the man to talk to when it comes to PCV and RC390...or tuning in general for that matter...

I agree Chad sorted my issue with a great map and PCV now I have the sweat est idle ever (cjwell here on the forum) as mentioned above super helpful and super experienced with this stuff

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
+1 on Chad again. He's the guy who Power Commander went to for developing the hardware!

Anyone else is basically reselling what he developed. He's got the dyno, and has done thousands of pulls with the RC390, devoting hundreds of hours to developing the RC390 and PCv maps.

green_bread

Country flag
Is there any way to find out what resistance is required to eliminate the CEL with the stock O2 removed? Surely a resistor can be used so you don't have to zip tie up the old sensor, right?