Pop/Expanding Rivets - KTM # 90114062001

rick

The next round of pop-rivets arrived!
pop_rivets-03.jpg

This is the following two parts:
1. B016JPQAG2: 6.5mm Hole, 17.5mm Head, 24.5mm Total Length. 20 for $4.40
2. B00DU674GY: 6mm Hole, 12mm Head, 25mm Total Length. 20 for $1.97

At this point I'm thinking the Amazon seller "SODIAL" (B00DU674GY and B008FZD4O6) is just sending me the same 7mm pop-rivets no matter what I order from them. The good news is that I like the 6.5mm rivets (B016JPQAG2) even better than the last "acceptable" set (B00GYUTNXU) - it's a little tighter fit on the hole but, they seem much stronger and have a better head size. If you can wait for the slow shipping, I'd recommend buying these at this point.

Last edited:

msquared

Rick,

Thank you for doing all this leg work and sharing your results! You saved me more than a few $$ replacing these damned things I am sure.

-Matt

reenmachine

Country flag
Geez, back when I did mine I just ran down to AutoZone and bought a blister pack of 1/4" ones for a couple bucks and they worked like a charm. I'll see if I still have the package.

rick

Geez, back when I did mine I just ran down to AutoZone and bought a blister pack of 1/4" ones for a couple bucks and they worked like a charm. I'll see if I still have the package.
I had AutoZone P/N 700-578 (1/4" rivet) listed in my notes. The specs don't seem accurate so, I was meaning to check it out in person some day.

Hole Size: 1/4" (6.35mm) - Good!
Diameter: 1/8" (3.2mm) - that's gotta be wrong
Total Length: 1/2" (12.7mm) - too short

Also, msquared: De nada! It's been kind of fun!

Last edited:

reenmachine

Country flag

Found them. I had to use them again today and they work ok. I'm not a big fan of the threaded plunger -- it's kind of a PITA and doesn't make removal and reuse as easy as one would think.

Dorman 961-050, $6.72 on Amazon Prime (presumably for the same 6-pack). They were cheaper at AutoZone.

I'm a fan of simple and cheap solutions, so I'm going to order these up from Amazon at $5 for 100 pieces. I bet they'll work just fine and then I'll have enough for life.

I'll report back once again.

Some pics of the Dorman 961-050:

U8IVAaxl.jpg

Tpxi3YVl.jpg

QXbv5vNl.jpg

rick

Nice! Thanks reenmachine!
I hadn't been looking at alternative rivet designs 'cause I was aiming for a closer to stock substitute but, hey, whatever works!!!!!

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Thanks Rick for this info.
FWIW, I use a 90* pick to first push the pin thru and then slide the pick under the shoulder of the rivet and pull it up/out. I have been able to reuse all of my fasteners so far.

AirRsq

Ha, I never even reinstalled them. It seems to me that they are pretty useless. The panel stays just fine without them and it makes disassembly/reassembly easier.

reenmachine

Country flag

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
<Alton Brown>
A unitasker!!! Eeeeek!
</>

LOL I've just always used my thumbnail, or for particularly stubborn ones, a dental pick.

Ryanthegreat1

<Alton Brown>
A unitasker!!! Eeeeek!
</>

LOL I've just always used my thumbnail, or for particularly stubborn ones, a dental pick.

Hey I happen to like my breakfast sandwich maker!

Sometimes having the right tool makes all the difference even if it is an unitasker.

Hekimpd

Well since I removed the body panels to prep them for the decal kit I ordered, I wanted to express my displeasure in these crap pop rivets. Really... Six small 4mm bolts with clip nuts was to much to engineer there?! What a joke. Yeah, I broke them all. :eek:

stevieboy

Country flag
Riv-nuts is what I used. Threaded fasteners instead of the plastic expand-rivets. Same for the two up top under the windscreen.

Is everyone trying to pop the plastic insert of the rivet out wards if that makes sense! Try pushing the centre part of the rivet through one notch - and presto the whole piece just comes straight out- I went trough heaps of these things while removing the fairings
at different times until I pushed them through - works a treat try it :)

stevieboy

Country flag
They really are pretty easy to use and re-use once you figure them out. However if you break them the replacements from KTM are way too expensive.