Popping out of 3rd gear into 4th during heavy downshifting/braking

Csorin

Hey guys,

Took the race bike to the track this past weekend. I was downshifting from 4th to 3rd quite hard braking into turns. Strangely, the bike was popping from 3rd gear back to 4th while I was letting out the clutch. This happened in the middle of my brake zone as I was approaching the apex. Sent me off track one time because I lost so much engine braking.

The last couple sessions of the day, I decided to stay in 4th and just 'lug' the engine out of the turn. I think my corner speed was the exact same. I also can't tell if the bike is really pulling that much harder up at 8k than it is down near 5 or 6. It's obviously louder and feels more violent with all the vibrations and sound, but I think I might not be losing much by keeping the engine a bit calmer.

Any ideas on why the engine would pop from 3rd back to 4th gear?

Have you replaced the detent arm? I know racers that had similar issues and replacing the detent arm with the one from the KTM Performance site took care of this in most cases.

Csorin

Have you replaced the detent arm? I know racers that had similar issues and replacing the detent arm with the one from the KTM Performance site took care of this in most cases.

No I have not. Do you happen to have the part number handy? Link to a walk-through on how to replace the detent? I'd be in unfamiliar waters.

Csorin

Ah, I found what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for the 'detent arm' suggestion. An easy google search uncovered lots of posts on this forum about similar shifting problems and how this solved them. Guess it's time to crack open the right side of the engine and put a slipper and this detent arm replacement in. Cheers!