Prospective RC390 owner, looking for info

potshot

I'm a long time rider and starting to look into track days. I've got a handful of first gen GSXRs and a 93 900ss, some of which will probably be sold to make room for an RC390, maybe two if the wife stays as interested as she looks. The intent will be to use RCs for track days only but we'll see how that goes.

I've been reading posts for info but will probably start asking questions in the main forums.

tt2013

I have a KTM RC390 with an Andreani fork cartridge kit and an Ohlins rear shock. My intent was to track the bike, but only been to the track twice this year. Let me know if you are interested.

EnergyHOU

You'll have a blast on the track with it, very fun bike with a limit that never seems to end. Do note issues reported on this forum though, will help you down the road.

TennisFreak

Do your research and know what you are getting into.

These bikes suffer from build quality issues and many people who track these blow head gaskets.

D

Deleted member 452

Not just track bikes blow head gaskets. I had to replace my head gasket, water pump, and clutch before 5K miles. I now have 12K miles and everything seems to be OK (knock on wood).

chrisdigital21

Not just track bikes blow head gaskets. I had to replace my head gasket, water pump, and clutch before 5K miles. I now have 12K miles and everything seems to be OK (knock on wood).

Had my bike for 40 days, 1600 miles, Head gasket blew. Only using it for commutes for work, never beat or abused. Bike is still in shop............. I cant with good faith recommend this bike to anyone. Keep searching. MT-07 Is my next choice.

unicorn_violence

to give some contrast potshot, i have had my RC on the street and track, over 3500 miles now and no issues. i did break the bike in on the street though, not a race break in. i'm curious if some of the head gaskets blown were from race break ins.

just know that this is a budget bike with past QC issues, and there will have to be money spent on preventative measures (which in a couple instances have not worked). otherwise, this is an amazing small bike for the track. i might not recommend this bike as a commuter, but as a track bike, it works flawlessly. prepare to have a massive smile on your face when you ride it!

potshot

Yep, going in with eyes wide open. Lots of reading today. With all of the warranty issues (and apparently good support from KTM) it sounds might make make sense to go with a dealer rather than used.

to give some contrast potshot, i have had my RC on the street and track, over 3500 miles now and no issues. i did break the bike in on the street though, not a race break in. i'm curious if some of the head gaskets blown were from race break ins.

just know that this is a budget bike with past QC issues, and there will have to be money spent on preventative measures (which in a couple instances have not worked). otherwise, this is an amazing small bike for the track. i might not recommend this bike as a commuter, but as a track bike, it works flawlessly. prepare to have a massive smile on your face when you ride it!

Treachery

Country flag
Welcome. There are a lot of shared experiences on the forum. Search is your friend. Take your time, and you'll sort out what questions to ask and whom to ask if you need to know anything specific. We also have a group of very supportive sponsoring vendors. Be sure to look there too.