New Potential Owner (Still looking and advice needed) - Joplin, MO

NoCrust

Country flag
Good morning everyone.

I'm currently in the process of looking for my next bike. I had an 06 CBR600rr that was my street bike and sometimes my wife's track bike (she never really liked it). She rides an Aprilia Tuono V4R and has been riding a lot longer than I have. I had my CBR for about a year of on and off riding.

I'm wanting to get back onto a bike to cut some use from my current daily as I travel 50 miles a day and I run my car on E85 so I'm filling up every 4 days.

This past Saturday my wife and I both tested out a 2018 RC390 and from the short test ride we both really liked it, from my first impression I don't think I'll miss much from my CBR. Again I'm not a track rider so the power doesn't have to be anything over the top like my wife would need as she's so used to her Aprilia.

This will be my next bike as I like it and has the stamp of approval as my wife will ride it as well whenever she fancies or maybe track it as well.

The only thing we are debating is buying new or buying used. There are a few within about 4 hours driving distance from us that are between $3-3300 (miles are 6k for one and 1,800 for the other). But being new to these bikes we are still looking at what direction to go towards as the 2018 that we rode was $4500 and most people selling bikes themselves will accept offers so potentially even more savings. But would it be worth it mechanically?

How easy are these bikes to wrench on? I'm car competent and getting there with bikes as I do as much as I can on the Aprilia before we take that to the dealer.

Thanks and please let me know or if I should post this somewhere as well.

m3hl

Country flag
Ive seen them brand new for $3500 by me from the deal on 2017s. Not to be pessimistic... but i think its wise to buy one with a full warranty. That said, I bought mine used for $3500. shop around I bet there are some NOS deals out there.

John390

yep, get at least a 2017. The improvements are fairly big. Definitely worth while.

I also suggest getting a 2018. I know there are at least two undocumented upgrades, so there are probably more.

I paid the same for my 2018 as the 2017's were.

PS, its a cool thing that your wife who rides a Tuono V4 and thinks the RC 390 is a cool bike. thats a big endorsement. Your wanting to buy one after riding a 600rr is also pretty damn cool.

simpletty

Country flag
get an R3. I have two 390's and one R3. The R3 is solid and zero issue bike on the daily commute. Summer days when its hot, you dont get the fan blast of scalding air when sitting at a stoplight. Bikes waaayyyy more comfortable of a ride as a daily commuter, smoother ride and much more of an ergonomic seating position as a daily driver. Cheap on fuel, and a bit bigger tank as well. Zero issues with head-gaskets or other common RC failures. I like the RC for a race bike and know the issues I will face with it, but the R3 is a solid bike and much better suited as set up from stock as a daily driver.

NoCrust

Country flag
Ive seen them brand new for $3500 by me from the deal on 2017s. Not to be pessimistic... but i think its wise to buy one with a full warranty. That said, I bought mine used for $3500. shop around I bet there are some NOS deals out there.

I didn't think new ones would dip under the $4k mark but I saw your comment and looked into it and see a few 2017s for $3500. I'll get in touch with the dealer we test rode from and see what they can do price wise.

We liked them as a dealer compared to another KTM dealer that I talked with that wouldn't let us test ride the bike without a negotiated price, a down payment, a full service and a signed contract (all due to the unlock code having to be issued to the owner). Which I thought was weird, and what I learned from the dealer we rode one at is that they just get a demo code that is good for a short period of time so the bike can be ridden. As we showed up they had the bike being prepped, we showed our licenses and that we had our own gear then 20 minutes later we both rode it and it was all good.

yep, get at least a 2017. The improvements are fairly big. Definitely worth while.

I also suggest getting a 2018. I know there are at least two undocumented upgrades, so there are probably more.

PS, its a cool thing that your wife who rides a Tuono V4 and thinks the RC 390 is a cool bike. thats a big endorsement. Your wanting to buy one after riding a 600rr is also pretty damn cool.

She thinks it's very chuckable compared to hers. She loves her bike to death and once I get an RC I'll post up our little collection of cars and bikes. I basically only get her carbon fiber bike parts for major holidays lol.

I'm coming from an 06 CBR600rr, so the electronics were basically non existent so I wanted to get something newer. My wife wanted to get me onto a naked/upright but the 600 variants don't look appealing to me. I need something I like to ride/drive and how it looks.

How long are the KTM warranties and do they have any extended versions? My wife got an extended warranty on her Aprilia which covered her stator going out twice.

NoCrust

Country flag
get an R3. I have two 390's and one R3. The R3 is solid and zero issue bike on the daily commute. Summer days when its hot, you dont get the fan blast of scalding air when sitting at a stoplight. Bikes waaayyyy more comfortable of a ride as a daily commuter, smoother ride and much more of an ergonomic seating position as a daily driver. Cheap on fuel, and a bit bigger tank as well. Zero issues with head-gaskets or other common RC failures. I like the RC for a race bike and know the issues I will face with it, but the R3 is a solid bike and much better suited as set up from stock as a daily driver.

I prefer a more aggressive seating position anyways. My wife likes the touring/upright position.

This would be a bike I ride for a year or two and then become a track bike when I move up to a bigger cc bike again 600+. This is a nice looking bike and priced well. If I had more money I'd step into a Ducati 899/959 or an MV F3 675/800 (Or wait for the Aprilia RS 660 to come out) but I don't have the money to drop $9k on a bike right now. As we already have two cars, buying a truck (replacing the last one) and getting a jet ski all within the next 6 months. So the bike funds are limited, which limits my options as I have to like how it looks and I'm not super fond of the R3 looks. Hence for anything smaller than 600cc I've been looking at the RC390.

I would agree that the 2018 would be the more prudent purchase. The full factory warranty will help you sleep at night for sure. If it's a price issue, I would still think a 2018 would make more sense in the long run. The R3 is more reliable, but it isn't nearly as much fun, almost soul-less in comparison.

If your long term plan is to make the RC a track bike, it's really easy to set up an RC for the track and it needs very little to be competent. The R3 as a track bike is much more reliable, but it takes a lot to go from designed commuter bike to decent track bike.

My endurance team has both RCs and R3s. It took about $4K to make the RC race competitive. It took nearly $10K for the R3 and the RC is still faster.

simpletty

Country flag
I would agree that the 2018 would be the more prudent purchase. The full factory warranty will help you sleep at night for sure. If it's a price issue, I would still think a 2018 would make more sense in the long run. The R3 is more reliable, but it isn't nearly as much fun, almost soul-less in comparison.

If your long term plan is to make the RC a track bike, it's really easy to set up an RC for the track and it needs very little to be competent. The R3 as a track bike is much more reliable, but it takes a lot to go from designed commuter bike to decent track bike.

My endurance team has both RCs and R3s. It took about $4K to make the RC race competitive. It took nearly $10K for the R3 and the RC is still faster.

and thats why i have two rc race bikes....and one R3 daily runner.

NoCrust

Country flag

What are the two undocumented changes between the 17 vs 18?

John390

I don't know what the other ones are but I know that there is something different in the wiring or electronics as all the older bikes have to have a work around to get the Torque app to show RPM. My bike did it just by downloading the app and plugging it in.

Also, I suspec that the fan has changed a little bit or maybe more? I have no plastic ducting on the back to direct the air down. Its just a fan stuck on the back of the rad. I had the right side fairing off and I could see it clearly.

There is talk about a redesigned head too, but I cannot confirm that because I aint pulling my head off :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
KTM dealer that I talked with that wouldn't let us test ride the bike without a negotiated price, a down payment, a full service and a signed contract (all due to the unlock code having to be issued to the owner).

?!!! That sounds like total BS to me.

She loves her bike to death and once I get an RC I'll post up our little collection of cars and bikes. I basically only get her carbon fiber bike parts for major holidays lol.

I've got a LOT of carbon for the RC390, if that helps with the decision there. :) LOL

Formula390 - Parts

NoCrust

Country flag
?!!! That sounds like total BS to me.

I've got a LOT of carbon for the RC390, if that helps with the decision there. :) LOL

Formula390 - Parts

Yep those are already in the plan to replace most of it with Carbon fiber lol minus the outer mid fairing (swap to white) to give it some contrast.

Trying to get the closer dealers to talk down their 2018s before traveling 450miles to get one. As I've found two 18's in that range listed at $3,800 so trying to get the dealer that's 250miles away to come down. As the dealer I rode it at couldn't/wouldn't come down from $4,600.

NoCrust

Country flag
Sending out the deposit check today for a brand new in crate 2018. Should pick it up the first weekend in March.

ia02

Country flag
If you are racing I suggest you get an earlier bike. There are more parts available. If you are just riding on the street or occasional track day I would 100% get a new 2017+ with a warranty

NoCrust

Country flag
My wife does track days so it'll be that for awhile. She may want to race but that'll probably be on an RSV4 instead.

I'm excited to get back on a bike, should pick it up the first weekend in March

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
If you want to be healthy, wealthy, and wise, the only things you should buy new are food and underwear, and probably shoes. Any bike you buy will be used as soon as you take your first ride.

ia02

Country flag
Oh, most importantly, come ride with MCRA. There are several 390 guys out on track. The more the merrier!

John390

I agree with Formula390. Thats total BS. I'd have calmly but firmly walked my wallet out the front door, never to return.

The place I bought mine let me, nay, insisted that I take thier brand new bike out for a long, real test ride. Sent me on a long, awesome, 45 min route.

Then they gave me a brand new crate bike, not the one I test rode when I picked it up.