Cassie

Anyone running a standalone quick shift like HM? If so, have you experienced fuel integrated systems as well? Seeking the pros/cons!

mattv

Country flag
No experience with the standalones. Installed a powertronic quickshifter today, works great so far.

Obvious pro to the ecu + quickshifter combo, is that you can tune your machine's air-fuel ratio, ignition, calibrate the quickshifter, raise the rev limit, etc.

Cassie

Thanks! I've priced out the stand alone v. a fully integrated system including the exhaust and such. The standalone is about a 1/3rd of the cost for the full kit and kaboodle. It's tempting to do the full thing at that rate.

I'm curious on your thoughts though on is the quick shifter enabling me to disregard some fundamental skills that I could still develop without one.

mattv

Country flag
No need to get an exhaust with a piggyback ecu + quickshifter combo. From my understanding, an aftermarket exhaust is mostly for weight saving, aesthetics, and sound.

Have you tried clutchless upshifting? If not, roll off the throttle at the same time as upshifting with no clutch. It should slip into gear. Googling "clutchless shifting" will give you a better explanation.

This is basically what a quickshifter does for you, it cuts the ignition for something like 50 - 100ms, which relieves pressure on the transmission allowing it to slip into the next gear.

Last edited:

Cassie

I am working on clutchless upshifting. The issue is my lack of consistency with it and in races situation I just find it to be distracting when I get it wrong. So I was thinking to eliminate the distraction.

isaac_

And the weight savings to power ratio are a big deal on these little bikes! Everything counts!

No need to get an exhaust with a piggyback ecu + quickshifter combo. From my understanding, an aftermarket exhaust is mostly for weight saving, aesthetics, and sound.

Have you tried clutchless upshifting? If not, roll off the throttle at the same time as upshifting with no clutch. It should slip into gear. Googling "clutchless shifting" will give you a better explanation.

This is basically what a quickshifter does for you, it cuts the ignition for something like 50 - 100ms, which relieves pressure on the transmission allowing it to slip into the next gear.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Plus with a quickshifter, I'll be faster with my QS than anyone who has to dial out, shift, and dial back in... when I can just continue to keep the throttle WFO while they are doing three operations to my singular one. I use the QS on the street too, but mostly just for the sheer giggles of it. :)

isaac_

a QS won’t fix slow, Cassie [emoji23] gotta twist the wrist!

(Before everyone piles on, Cassie and I race in the same series and pit next to each other.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cassie