Replacing clutch cable

KBear

Country flag
Messing around with my 2016 RC this morning I found out I need to replace my clutch cable. It was about to break at the lever. Now, I did remove the cable and thought I would try moving the clutch lever on the engine and put it in gear to see what would happen and it kills it every time I put it in gear. Is there something I should have watched out for while removing the cable? I made sure the lever on the engine was not disturbed while I was removing the cable. Can the clutch lever on the engine be pulled out too far or something and cause some issue with the clutch action or is it the clutch sensor on the handlebar that is causing this to happen? The clutch lever was not in place when I moved the clutch lever on the engine to find out if the lever on the engine was working.

I'll order a new cable this Tuesday and hope this fixes any issues that may have happened when I removed the old cable.

KBear

Country flag
No. I made sure of that. I can hold the clutch lever in on the engine with my righthand and put it in gear with my left foot and by putting it in gear will kill it normally as if you where not using a clutch at all if that makes any since?

This is a clutch cable issue. I'm afraid by me doing what I just stated above I may have done something wrong to the clutch lever on the engine I just don't know for sure at this point???? Maybe I'm being too paranoid????

Last edited:

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Ok, it sounds like the engine is mechanically stalling. Usually 'kill' denotes an electrical event. The clutch lever shaft works like a cam, so you can turn it too far (or not far enough).

You are doing a somewhat dangerous test - risk of accident. You could do it without the engine running.

If you are curious, you can pull the whole clutch lever arm and shaft right up and out of the engine.

Oh, and the switch on the handlebar clutch lever is only in play when starting the engine.

KBear

Country flag
I ordered a new cable today and it will take a few days to get here so I guess I'll find out what happens when I get the new cable installed. I maybe over thinking it but we'll see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the new one installed. I have an idea on why the current OEM cable gave up on me but I'm not 100% sure. The cable is only three years old. I replaced the OEM clutch lever with the KTM Power Parts Italian adjustable levers and I think the lever may be chewing on the end of the cable. The cable end may be slipping down in the lever slot and whenever the lever is pulled the lever body or boss is catching the edge each time and nipping at the cable itself. I could be wrong I just have a feeling that's the issue. I need a new cable installed to get a closer look.

KBear

Country flag
Well it's the end of September and I ordered a new clutch cable for my RC on the 10th and I still have not heard from the dealer. I did speak with them a couple weeks ago and it was on Back Order. I'm not sure where I will get a cable but what a drag I haven't recieved the new clutch cable yet. Just waiting around. It's a good thing I have another motorcycle I can ride or I would be goin' banjo by now.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Maybe check with partsfish.com. I buy lots of oem parts from them

Andy

Country flag
Back order seems to be de rigueur, especially for 2015 bikes, I order newer stuff or Duke parts which always fast delivered quicker.

Also try cable makers like Venhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBear

Country flag
I did try KTM parts nation but they said if it were on back order they were unable to tell me until an order was made.

I did send an email to KTM asking about parts particularly the clutch cable and they did confirm that it was on backorder and they wouldn't see any until Nov. sometime. Like I stated earlier I'm sure glad I have another motorcycle to ride.

I also spoke to one of the salespersons at a KTM dealer asking what was up with the backorder of the cable. He stated to me that the likelihood of such items were do to the much higher demand for parts on the RCs was due to the fact that they are more in demand in Europe than here in the US.

So here I am as of yet waiting for a clutch cable. If parts for this machine are that difficult to get then maybe I should rethink owning this machine.