Slipper Clutch....

DaveI

Reposting since my previous post disappeared (?)...

KTM thinking about adding a Slipper Clutch to the RC390...

KTM to introduce slipper clutch on RC200 & RC390 | Shifting-Gears

This is a very good idea as that high compression single cylinder is going to have a lot of engine braking...
A slipper clutch will make it much easier to flog...I'm wondering if this will make it on to the bike for 2015?
I think they should be able to add it to the bike for only several hundred dollars vs. adding an aftermarket
slipper which will cost you up to $1000 to add...It is really going to need the slipper clutch being a road
going single and this would definitely be a good move on KTM's part to head off the engine braking problem
when going up against the Yamaha R3 (Which is what it will be compared to along with the Ninja 300)...

motoarch

Great find and thanks for sharing.

I agree that a slipper clutch is going to be important on a single and it's unfortunate they didn't adress this sooner.

VAG944

I think it would put the bike at too high a price point compared to its competition. The people that feel they need/want a slipper clutch are also the people with experience. The newbies, the bike is in a competitive market for, are going to go for one of the lesser bike because of price and looks more than performance bells and whistles.

That's one of the unusual things about this bike, it has caught the eye of people that have lots of experience riding lots of different bikes, some with double the power that is being offered and yet we're still really keen on its potential and performance!! I'm hoping the RC390 will take me back to my RZ350 days where I worried less about cops and the ridiculously high achievable speeds of my Triumph D675! :p

motoarch

The ninja has one and is 500 less.

Aside from that I think realistic expectations were this bike was going to be 500-1000 more then it is anyway. I would happily paid 6000 to not have to install this after the fact. I suppose you have a point though seeing as most of the Indian market bikes may never see the track and I don't see a slipper being nessessary on the street.

I was never in the market for a Cbr or ninja or even the r3 for that matter. I'm only looking at this class for this bike only and fully expected it to cost more. I suppose it's a trade off for usd forks but compromise sucks.

Anyway slipper and quick shifter will be my first mods.

DaveI

I'm hoping the RC390 will take me back to my RZ350 days :p

Same here...I had three RZ350s from 1985 to 1992 (Two of them smashed to pieces along with a life flight trip for me)..
The last one I must have been crazy to sell in '92 because I needed the money for something else..I kick myself now
when I see what beat up RZs go for on Ebay (But maybe it extended my life?)...
For me there's nothing I hate more than a heavy motorcycle...I rode a guy's Aprilia 1000 sportbike with a bunch of guys
one time and was completely worn out after a few hours of high speed riding...That convinced me I never wanted a big
engine bike...For me the RC390 is all about a light-weight performance oriented bike...The weight for me is the selling point.

Last edited:

DaveI

The ninja has one and is 500 less.

Yeah I really don't think there's much of a cost difference between a normal clutch and a slipper clutch
if it's original equipment from the factory...The inflated $850 to $1000 price for a slipper clutch is from an aftermarket
company retail to a customer...A factory made or procured slipper clutch would be a small cost to the
factory if designed and installed as original equipment. (Especially if it's made and installed by Bajaj)...

TZMike

Nice RZ. Is that a Canadian version?

The slipper clutch will be a nice addition to this engine. There are Ducati slipper clutch assemblies available for $50 so IMO $1000 seems a bit high for this option. Looking forward to seeing what KTM does...

ToraTora

Country flag
Davel, I hear you on the weight issue. That's one of the reasons I sold my RSV. From what I've mostly been riding in the last many years the RC will actually be a heavy bike! But it is amazing how much fun you can have when you lighten up the bike. ;)

Treachery

Country flag
Hm. Having had no recent experience with a street-going single, I don't know how much I'd value the addition. My Mille had one, but as ToraTora mentioned elsewhere, big twins have a greater "need." If we're pipe-dreaming what would induce me to pony up more dosh at the time of purchase, my priorities would be 1) Better/adjustable suspension, 2) Quick-shifter, 3) slipper clutch. But KTM needs to leave a little on the shelf to offer later, don't they?

guzz46

Owning a 576cc Husky SM610 single, and a 1000cc Suzuki TL1000s twin I have never thought to myself I wish I had a slipper clutch, maybe its because I always pay attention not to bang it down too many gears when entering a corner? maybe if you were racing and were after an extra tenth of a second then a slipper clutch might come in handy.
Having a slipper clutch on the cup bike might be worth while, but I don't see the point in putting it on the street version, it doesn't have much engine braking, of course it's all relative.

Treachery

Country flag
Davel, I hear you on the weight issue. That's one of the reasons I sold my RSV. From what I've mostly been riding in the last many years the RC will actually be a heavy bike! But it is amazing how much fun you can have when you lighten up the bike. ;)
So, if that's the case, would it be way off base to guess that you're not that hefty either?