Stage One Engine Build

KTMGene390

Dan Crower from DCR in Temecula, CA has my KTM RC 390 for R&D testing purposes. Stage 2 & 3 engine builds will follow sometime in the future...

I'll post Dyno charts when available and you can follow him on Instagram dcamman or checkout his website http://danielcrowerracing.com

DCMoney

Country flag
So they are currently offering this for the duke.

KTM-DUK-390-I KTM DUKE 390 radius follower intake cam .264" lift, 224° duration 2015 $ 259.00
KTM-DUK-390-E KTM DUKE 390 radius follower exhaust cam .224" lift, 214° duration 2015 $ 299.00
KTM-DUK-390-S KTM DUKE 390 radius follower twin cam set .264"/.224" lift, 224°/214° duration 2015 $ 558.00

http://danielcrowerracing.com/ag-1037041.1037069.1176278-2015-ktm-390-duke.html

What else are they planning on doing?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Isn't that swell.... I called them a long time ago about making me billet cam blanks when I started my kits. Seems they've changed their minds. I have had several of my cams in service for awhile "testing" before selling to the masses. I have found out the hard way the stock valve train WILL NOT take any more cam profile on the intake cam. I have a new spring kit, hardened spring seats, Ti retainers and proper keepers on the way for a cam swaps or extra insurance on a stock build. The stock springs are too weak letting the valve float on the large steel valves. See pic of damaged keeper vs good one, moments away from dropping valve! I will not sell my cams without the spring kit and I would not use any other cam without either. My cams alone are better priced than theirs too. Awaiting finally pricing on new components.

IMG_5271.JPG

Last edited:

KTMGene390

Isn't that swell.... I called them a long time ago about making me billet cam blanks when I started my kits. Seems they've changed their minds. I have had several of my cams in service for awhile "testing" before selling to the masses. I have found out the hard way the stock valve train WILL NOT take any more cam profile on the intake cam. I have a new spring kit, hardened spring seats, Ti retainers and proper keepers on the way for a cam swaps or extra insurance on a stock build. The stock springs are too weak letting the valve float on the large steel valves. See pic of damaged keeper vs good one, moments away from dropping valve! I will not sell my cams without the spring kit and I would not use any other cam without either. My cams alone are better priced than theirs too. Awaiting finally pricing on new components.

View attachment 1739

Dan discussed with me the various strengths and weaknesses of the RC 390 motor and will address them during the engine build stages.

Last edited:

DCMoney

Country flag

View attachment 1739

I am really looking forward to your kit!

Bagwell

Country flag
Dan discussed with me the various strengths and weaknesses of the RC 390 motor and will address them during the engine build stages.
Any way you and Chad can discuss the motor abilities and weaknesses in certian cases as well as any known weak points that need to be addressed in different motor modification situations as well as a stock motor and any thought or known weaknesses or points to be addressed to keep longevity and reliability at the top of the motors strong suits?

Thanks

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Any way you and Chad can discuss the motor abilities and weaknesses in certian cases as well as any known weak points that need to be addressed in different motor modification situations as well as a stock motor and any thought or known weaknesses or points to be addressed to keep longevity and reliability at the top of the motors strong suits?

Thanks

I've already helped the competition too much... Stock head gasket and valve train could stand to be improved upon. The bottom end is stout enough to handle what I've thrown at it for a while now on several motors (50 hp). If you would like details we can discuss in PM. I have help/support/inside info from the factory.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Did you run into spring bind on those keepers?!

No stock springs will take quite a bit more lift than I'm using. Coil bind isn't the issue, added profile + heavy valve/retainer + more rpm + barely adequate retainers/keepers = valve float :(

KTMGene390

Baseline dyno run complete:

42.98 HP
26.86 TQ

These results are as delivered to DCR with K&N filter, Mnnthbx plate, Akrapovic Slip-on exhaust and Bazzaz Z-Fi. This is without any timing changes as the Bazzaz unit does not allow for this and the stock ECU has not been reflashed yet. Up next Stage 1 R&D engine build...

KTMGene390

So I have my bike back from Daniel Crower Racing. However, unfortunately, I have to report these bad facts:

The agreement was he asked me to send him my bike for development work which I agreed to his terms. However after two months the only thing he did was dyno my bike and let it sit collecting dust and proceeds to message me that he is in over his head and can't/won't do the work as agreed. There was no money lost and he didn't charge me but he made no real effort whatsoever to honor his agreement. Other companies such as Driven and Bazzaz both honored their agreements perfectly! I was nice, patient, understanding, and respectful the entire time. This is an update on my bike and only the facts are being reported to simply inform anyone thinking of doing business with Daniel Crower. You can decide. Thank you for reading.

micahpearlman

I've dealt with a few engine builders over the years -- all good guys, but Chad and KTM Performance is so far beyond any of them as far as not only creating great parts and incredible knowledge but the service and communication is just unbelievably great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk