Stock bike backfire/popping?

Sacape2

The last two times that I've taken my bike out, I've been getting a lot of backfire/popping from the exhaust. It's usually when I'm getting off the freeway and rev matching/downshifting, not really when I just ride around the city. It's never done this before and the bike is completely stock in terms of engine mods. My bike has approximately 180mi on the ODO and it's been doing it for about the last 60mi give or take. I've used 91 octane Shell or Chevron, nothing else. I searched the forum and found the only related thread is about running lean on an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe Chad would have a possible answer?

On a side note, does anyone know what type of coolant is used from the factory? The reservoir has been lower than the minimum line since the day I bought it. I didn't think much of it since it hasn't overheated because the temp stays at 8 bars. I just don't feel comfortable with the coolant being that low on a cold start and after a ride.

reenmachine

Country flag
The last two times that I've taken my bike out, I've been getting a lot of backfire/popping from the exhaust. It's usually when I'm getting off the freeway and rev matching/downshifting, not really when I just ride around the city. It's never done this before and the bike is completely stock in terms of engine mods. My bike has approximately 180mi on the ODO and it's been doing it for about the last 60mi give or take. I've used 91 octane Shell or Chevron, nothing else. I searched the forum and found the only related thread is about running lean on an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe Chad would have a possible answer?

On a side note, does anyone know what type of coolant is used from the factory? The reservoir has been lower than the minimum line since the day I bought it. I didn't think much of it since it hasn't overheated because the temp stays at 8 bars. I just don't feel comfortable with the coolant being that low on a cold start and after a ride.

I've got no input on the popping, but I know all about the coolant, having changed mine out for distilled water and MoCool. The OEM coolant is thick and syrupy -- I didn't test it but it looked like it would be good against freezing at the North Pole. Just top off with water to the appropriate level and you'll be fine, especially here in SoCal.

motoputz

Country flag
just top of with Distilled water. You want ion free water to prevent galvanic corrosion between the Aluminum and Steel components in the cooling system.

Sacape2

I'll go pick up some distilled water today in the meantime. I'm going to flush it and run EI anyway.

That popping is really concerning especially since it still hasn't gotten its first service and it's new.

tecknojoe

Country flag
During my first service at 602 miles, we noticed it had been running a little rich. Completely stock up until that point.

I didn't care since I was adding an exhaust, PCV, and tune after that.

Sacape2

During my first service at 602 miles, we noticed it had been running a little rich. Completely stock up until that point.

I didn't care since I was adding an exhaust, PCV, and tune after that.

I plan on doing that as well when the time comes, but I feel that it shouldn't be doing this in stock form for a new bike.

Chris The Welder

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. My TL 1000r had a small gasket go bad on the head tube. Replaced it, no more popping. Maybe a clamp is loose?

Sacape2

I hope that's the case. I could do that myself and have it done in no time instead of doing a warranty claim and take forever.

Sacape2

OK I'm letting it cool down. I got back from work about a half hour ago. Gonna check the clamp on the exhaust. It looks like the flange is located behind the radiator, so I'm gonna have to remove the plastics, right?

OldVet

OK I'm letting it cool down. I got back from work about a half hour ago. Gonna check the clamp on the exhaust. It looks like the flange is located behind the radiator, so I'm gonna have to remove the plastics, right?

I don't think so looking at mine it appears you can get to them without doing that. Look behind the wheel and under the radiator both nuts are visible and you should be able to get a socket on them.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I was able to loosen / tighten the flange plate with a deep socket and long 3/8 extension with out removing anything IIRC...

Al Pal

Waking up an old thread but Sacape2 have you resolved this? After my first service (which also included an air-box recall) the bike has been running very rich. After having warmed up even just a little on very over run/off throttle lots of popping from the exhaust. Sounds good but it 'aint right. Will check exhaust. This Factory dealer is notorious for bad servicing. Walking past the bike after the service I noticed the end of a small rubber hose on the Left hand side hanging lose with a spring clamp on the end. Took half an hour to get the left side cover off as they'd cross threaded the top screw. I broke 2 of those expanding plastic rivets :(. Turned out it was the fuel overflow hose not put back on the tank and they hadn't threaded the lower part of the hose back behind the bracket on the side cover when replacing it and it was pressed against the exhaust and had burnt through.