Swingarm bushings

Installed Tyga Performance rear sets today. Not a bad kit at all. I f you use common sense it is not a difficult install.

I'd been dying to get in to look at the swing arm bushing since last year when I saw my first RC390 in person. I figured chances were pretty good you would want to check these. Glad I did. The bushing are replaceable steel on steel and were dry as a bone. I had uneven wear starting to happen between the inner and outer bushings. On reassembly, I lubed every thing in there I could with waterproof lithium grease. For me, this will be at least an annual task and probably anytime we endurance in the rain.

Jim

Ryanthegreat1

Thanks for the update! I was wondering how those were going to look after seeing the rest of the pivots were shipped dry.

DCMoney

Country flag
Im happy to see someone got their tyga rearsets already, mine should be in soon then!

Did you pay for the faster shipping?

Ryanthegreat1

I can confirm that the swingarm bushing in the US RC390 road spec are shipped dry. However they did bother to grease the swingarm bolt!

Dry Bushing starting to wear with ~1200 miles.
IMG_20150630_153437.jpg

Inside the dry bushing, no needle bearings here. Also a hint on how to get at these easily.
IMG_20150630_153452.jpg

Treachery

Country flag
Gawdamighty.

There was a post over ADVRider where some guy basically took his new bike down to nuts and bolts to lube things like this and to double check installation torque. He got hooted, but finding something like this gives the notion of post-delivery inspection​ some credence.

Ryanthegreat1

What you want the dealer to actually do something for the $500-1000 they charge for "setup"?

Sorry dealerships but charging 5-10 hours worth of shop labor for "setup" and then finding shit like this upsets me.

I'm sure the shop would assume that this was accomplished at the factory. I'm certain that it isn't in any check list. Makes you what to pay special attention to your wheel bearings eh?

Muckabucka

Country flag
Good news is my rearsets should be in any day, and I'm most likely going to pull wheel bearings and steering bearings too. Speaking of which, has anyone looked into tapered bearings yet? Maybe I'll contact All Balls and see what they have.

DCMoney

Country flag
Good news is my rearsets should be in any day, and I'm most likely going to pull wheel bearings and steering bearings too. Speaking of which, has anyone looked into tapered bearings yet? Maybe I'll contact All Balls and see what they have.

:D I wish this forum had a like button...

Treachery

Country flag
I'm suspecting that if one pushes out the swingarm axle with the long 3/8" extension as discussed elsewhere that you can access and lube the bushings then just reinstall the axle? Assuming no rearsets installation, that is.

Ryanthegreat1

Yes it is a quick process.

1. Unload weight from the rear tire.
2. Remove swingarm bolt.
3. Press downward on the rear tire and that will force the front of the swing arm up giving access to bushings.
4. Remove bushings, the left side is tight, remove the spacer first and then the bushing. The spacer has a counter bore that the bushing fits in and will trap the spacer between the bushing and rearset.
4. Lube bushings.
5. Put it all back together, use the weight of the bike on the rear to get the bushings lined up for the bolt.

Backmarker

Thanks for the how to, I have my Tyga rear sets coming and will follow your method to lube the bushings. Thanks again Ryanthegreat1