trackbike build blog

nail_bomb

wotcha, 58 year old veteran here, just bought a 390 to convert to a dedicated track day bike, been lurking for a while on this great forum and you finally persuaded me to splash out and join the gang! I already own a 690 duke and a 690 smc-r supermoto but wanted to get back to 'the good old days' of lightweight, good handling and sensible power levels. I've started a blog to document the build and future adventures if anyone cares to take a butchers, its at moto390.blogspot.com, thanks.

SWdragon

Country flag
Same here, 56 yr old retired USAF. I had the first year 500 Interceptor in the earlier eighties and when I saw this coming out I brought one of first ones to hit my local dealer. Best mod for the money was a G2 quick turn throttle and new grips. I have since done the suspension, performance (Tyga exhaust, PCV, plug, air box mod and chad dyno), carbon seat/tail for the street, plus misc. from KTM performance, Tyga, Formula 390, MNNTHBX and Evotech.

https://www.g2ergo.com/product-category/g2-motorcycle-throttles/

Wa2fst

Country flag
Interesting i was in the USAF With a guy from Athens. Younger though he'd be about 42. I just hit my 21 yrs yesterday.

nail_bomb

hey guys, thanks for the replies, really appreciate them. I have found from bitter experience with my race bikes that just throwing money at them doesn’t necessarily guarantee better performance, with this build I am going to take a more logical progression with the modifications and hopefully evaluate each change before I go on to the next stage. reading the forum and the experiences that a lot of you have had is invaluable in evaluating what works and what doesn’t so I will, of course, be making note of any recommendations such as shock swaps and front fork cartridges along with any performance mods.
I’m guilty [along with a lot of us I guess!] in looking for the ‘quick fix’ on the golden performance path instead of getting the basics right first, decent tyres set at the correct pressures and good hh brake pads and setting the suspension sag, along with actually spending a little time making the bike ‘fit’ me and being comfortable go a long way to getting a better bike for a minimal outlay in ‘hard earned’. suspension changes will come after this and hopefully the weather will have improved here in dear old blighty and I can get some track time in to check out the changes made. trackday noise regulations are getting very strict over here now, [saw a guy on a brand new, bog-standard panigale get refused track time at cadwell park last autumn because his bike was over the 102 decimal reading on the noise meter] is the akrapovic exhaust worth doing or is it just a cosmetic change? are there any performance gains to be had or am I going to be at risk of getting my noise test sticker refused?