Valve adjustment , carb re-tune

Michelle

Hello everyone

I am new to this site and I am hoping for some advice please :D..... I bought a rc 390 2015 the other week , she hardly rode it and only had 577 miles on the clock when I got it...
I have booked it into the ktm dealership this Friday to have the valves checked and adjusted if needed.
My question is should I ask them to do a carb re-tune as well ??,, is it true when the bike comes from the factory the bike is set running a little lean for the run in period ?...

My bike runs and rides just great though , I love it :eek:... I am looking forward to riding lots of miles on it ,, I have gone a little over the first service mileage 620 ,, I am now at 690 miles but I am going to stay off it till Friday till it goes in..

Many thanks guys :D

green_bread

Country flag
This bike is fuel injected, so there is no carb. Typically, the first service is just an oil change and valve clearance check, and most people have reported not needed to adjust valves at the first service.

As far as the bike being lean, that is due to emissions and doesnt have anything to do with the break in period. Unless you are swapping exhausts or removing the air filter lid, you shouldnt need to make any adjustments to the fueling. That being said, the Power Commander 5 from cjwell @ KTM Performance does improve the low rev fueling and smooth it out a lot. Thats just a lot of money to spend on something that you dont really need.

Let us know if you have any other questions and welcome to the addiction!

CDN Duke

Country flag
If you're taking it into the dealer, I'd recommend asking them to flash the Akra map while you're there.

Michelle

Thank you kindly for your reply's chaps , I will not ask them then to do a carb re-tune :) ...... What is a flash AKra ?? , what will that do ??.

Michelle

Thank you kindly for your help , I have been reading about it last night and this morning so will see the dealer Friday about it..... I did change the oil and filters ,, put a DID X ring chain on the other day..
Last week I tried to check the valve clearances myself but it was just to fiddly for me :-( So that is when I thought it best to book it in with the dealer....
Well thank you again ,, looks like a fantastic site ,, have a good week :)

green_bread

Country flag
Yeah, the valve adjustment can be tricky. Mostly because its such a tight area to work in and getting the gasket set correctly when putting the valve cover back on can be a pain.

UpstateNY

Country flag
Yeah, the valve adjustment can be tricky. Mostly because its such a tight area to work in and getting the gasket set correctly when putting the valve cover back on can be a pain.

+1 to the valve cover gasket. Had a nasty leak the first time I buttoned it back up.