When to shift up - single cyl?

Grove

I know this is gonna sound like a weird/ basic question. But about where in the RPM range are you guys upshifting for maximum acceleration?

I'm very much used to 4 cylinders, and shifting by "feel", but not sure here with a single.

Looking at the dyno charts, and shifting where I would get more HP in the next gear (factoring in the RPM drop), for some reason still doesn't feel right.

MrGrody

Around 9 I believe for me. I don't look down at the gauge tho really ever but I'm pretty sure I've seen it there a time or two.

Seth

Country flag
Clock those hours on your bike.. you will "feel" when its right. I don't look down anymore unless im checking speed, gear or fuel.

Like others here said, you will feel it eventually. The power is from 7-9k. On the streets, for me:

1st Gear: 1-15mph
2nd: 15-30+
3rd: 30-45+
4th: 40-55+
5th: 50-65
6th: 65+

There's some overlap between a few middle gears but I generally stick to those numbers. I think most riders say to avoid looking at your speedo and reference your tach instead but I find this works well for me.

Edit: And try to avoid lugging in a gear too high for your road speed. If you're trying to go 20mph in 3rd gear on this bike, you'll have absolutely no power revving in the 3-4ks. Experiment on the highway, maybe.

Last edited: