Wiring Diagram Needed

commandodave

After a couple of cold weather rides I realized that i missed the heated grips I had installed on my Aprilia. I need a copy of the wiring diagram so I can find a power source that is controlled by the ignition switch. Switch on - power, switch off - no juice.

The users manual does not have a wiring diagram (odd!).

The manual does hint that there are two fuses for aux equipment. Has anyone used these? Are they switched?

Diploman

The Duke has an unused fused power lead conveniently located in the headlight module. This makes it very simple to connect heated grips or whatever electrical accessory you might want. I expect the RC likely has something similar if you can find it. Someone must know.

Fasteddy

Country flag
On the left side harness behind the steering head, if you take the battery cover off I think they will be under the plastic cover between the steering head and battery box. The yellow with red trace is always hot, the blue with red trace is switched, both are fused at 10 amps and with a ground lead. I now have a charger on the un switched and a GPS speedo on the switched...

IMG_0751.JPG

commandodave

Thank you. Much appreciated.

On the left side harness behind the steering head, if you take the battery cover off I think they will be under the plastic cover between the steering head and battery box. The yellow with red trace is always hot, the blue with red trace is switched, both are fused at 10 amps and with a ground lead. I now have a charger on the un switched and a GPS speedo on the switched...

When I bought my RC 390 service manuals were not yet available to the public. And still weren't the last time I stopped by my dealer. (Sixty miles away on the other side of the beltway.)

I have had a service manual for every motorcycle I ever owned since I bought my 69 Husqvarna, through several Nortons, Hondas, and Aprilias. Every manual that came with the motorcycle had a wiring diagram included. I am disappointed that the KTM does not.

commandodave

Finally got around to connecting my heated grips, thanks to the info posted by fasteddy. This motorcycle is the most convoluted bike I have ever worked on. I have disassembled Norton Commandos down to the point of unbolting the crankshaft. I have completely broken down my Aprilia Futura using only one hand - the other arm was in a sling thanks to a soccer mom and her SUV! I have come to the conclusion that the wiring loom was installed by teen aged Oriental women with small hands and long fingers.

big_sur

I have had a service manual for every motorcycle I ever owned since I bought my 69 Husqvarna, through several Nortons, Hondas, and Aprilias. Every manual that came with the motorcycle had a wiring diagram included. I am disappointed that the KTM does not.

There's definitely a wiring diagram in the service manual, which you can Google and download.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I downloaded it for free a while back from the BHP forum in India, It is close to the RC but has some subtly differences...