1st service mileage limit

mmk

The first service due at 620 miles, and I'm already at 1,000 miles, just having too much fun on this bike. I suppose I should have called to make a service appointment when I hit 620 but here I am at 1,000 and by Sunday night I'll probably have 1300. I plan to call them Monday morning to make an appointment. Is there a high mileage limit where they will say I'm too far past 620 to qualify for the first service, and thus void my warranty?

mattv

Country flag
Don't play with fire. Stop riding now and take it in for the first service. There can be a fair amount of metal dust deposited in the oil during an engine break-in period. The first oil change is really important.

Also, clarify with your dealer that they are going to do the first service per the KTM specifications (valve clearance check, etc).

My dealer tried telling me the first service is just an oil change. It's not, KTM has a checklist of things to be done at the first service. FWIW, my valve clearances were all within spec at the first service.

mmk

Thanks for the info Matt. I had no idea about metal dust during break-in. I'm 16, first bike ever, so actually I know very little about bikes, but I am eager to learn. Darn, I was really looking forward to my ride on NF-99 to Windy Ridge today (Mt St Helens East viewpoint). 200 mile round trip. But you got me thinking that is not wise. Very tough decision. I don't want to damage anything. But what really worries me, is that even though I have only lurked here 30 minutes total, I have already read on 2 different threads how the RC is notorious for bolts vibrating loose. :eek: Anybody have a good youtube link for which bolts to check / tighten?

mattv

Country flag
I've lost a couple bolts on the lower fairing. I've heard the side stand bolts can come loose as well.

Drstimpy

Elite Member
Country flag
Don't play with fire. Stop riding now and take it in for the first service. There can be a fair amount of metal dust deposited in the oil during an engine break-in period. The first oil change is really important.

Also, clarify with your dealer that they are going to do the first service per the KTM specifications (valve clearance check, etc).

My dealer tried telling me the first service is just an oil change. It's not, KTM has a checklist of things to be done at the first service. FWIW, my valve clearances were all within spec at the first service.

I had exhaust out of spec at 420 miles. Valves are a PITA on this bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldVet

Do yourself a favor and take every nut and bolt out and loctite them...

Valve adjustment... The mechanic at the shop I purchased my 390 at said based on their experience at the shop I didn't need to have them checked until 7,500 miles... I actually waited until 10,000 miles and they were in spec...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

I wonder why your mechanic told you every 7,500 miles when the manual says 9,321 miles (or every 2 years)?