2015 RC 390 heat thats considered normal

hoghead32

bike was bought new Aug. 2016. I bought it used Feb 2017 with 214 miles on it..runs hotter then most bikes I've owned so changed out the fan and removed the plastic veins in front of the radiator ....when starting to go for a ride the heat comes up to 7 bars on gauge....temp in 80's outside. when getting off interstate to my first red light the temp of gauge goes to 8 bars and fan kicks on then off...continuing on the bike stays at 8 bars and never goes back to 7 and fan stays off unless I stop again for another light at which time the fan will cycle if needed...is this the normal temp.range I can expect and when the outside temps start to be 93 avg. in summer is this going to change the engine temp?? I usually run about 75 to 80 mph on hwy to my destination 35miles away...also what are the symptoms of a blown head gasket as it happens ?? really enjoy this bike as much if not more then my 690 Duke

uberRC

All the body panels keep the engine/exhaust very hot. I've driven our bike a bit with the lower cowls removed and that circulates a significant amount of air.

We're still fairly cool here. Have not driven the bike on a hot day and I have not seen any sort of warnings apart from hearing the fan come on somewhat often when sitting at traffic lights. I have changed the coolant.

CDN Duke

Country flag
hoghead32 - what you see is normal. The bikes normally run 2 bars from the break to the hot. It appears overly hot but that's simply how they've drawn the scale so to speak.

hoghead32

appreciate that ..was hoping that was the case. Dealer told me to watch the oil...he was right it uses some..at least until it gets fully broke in or because of the high rev's. usually 7000rpm at 80 mph shown.

rompus

Did same mods as you and same results in 80 degree weather. About 3/4 bar and fan comes on at a stoplite.I wish they had a temp gauge that gave the actual temp.I did put the samco hoses and the rad cap on too however.

Last edited:

hoghead32

thanks for the replys..also did the radiator cap upgrade as I changed out the fan to the Spal 5.2. Ride this RC390 more than the 690 duke..took some of the 1" opening insulating foam tubes used for water heater pipes and cut to fit the grips and wow what a smooth comfy grip to lean on...they didn't last long before my weight on them started to squash them so cut some more and put some clear packing tape over stock grips first so the grips rough surface didn't act as a file and the foam slides on so much easier...add a little windex to the grip and they really slide on easy...will see how long this set lasts....cant get over how comfortable this grip mod is. put a little tape on the foam seam b4 applying over grip so the glued foam seam stays closed...

rompus

thanks for the replys..also did the radiator cap upgrade as I changed out the fan to the Spal 5.2. Ride this RC390 more than the 690 duke..took some of the 1" opening insulating foam tubes used for water heater pipes and cut to fit the grips and wow what a smooth comfy grip to lean on...they didn't last long before my weight on them started to squash them so cut some more and put some clear packing tape over stock grips first so the grips rough surface didn't act as a file and the foam slides on so much easier...add a little windex to the grip and they really slide on easy...will see how long this set lasts....cant get over how comfortable this grip mod is. put a little tape on the foam seam b4 applying over grip so the glued foam seam stays closed...

Thats funny about you riding the rc more than the duke read my new post about my impressions.http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/kt...rum/2193-unbelievable.html?posted=1#post22652

Kuroneko3

At the track this past weekend I thought mine was getting a bit too hot sitting in pit lane. It did not spike any higher than two bars from the top all weekend in 85*F and Sunny weather. The fan cycled on and off and it didn't seem to have any issues albeit a bit concerning to see the gauge fill that much... I wish they would put a Number gauge instead of a bar gauge.

hoghead32

yes the gauge itself is what leads everyone to be concerned ....needs an upgrade...and that stock shrouded fan leaves a lot to be desired, we shouldn't have to do our own upgrade