2022 Models, what I know.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
  • The engine has been for the most part unchanged which means a majority of our products should be a direct fit to the 2022 model. This is a blessing and a curse, as KTM chose to not solve some the reliability naggles that has plagued these bikes since day 1. But on the other hand we know how to make these for the most part reliable with aftermarket solutions!
  • The wheels are significantly lighter and will use the same rear axle but a different (hollow) front axle, I will be making a kit to adapt these to the old generation bikes asap as its roughly half the weight loss of the marchesini parts and I can hope for about a third of the price.
  • Front brake caliper remains the same so all pad options will continue to work, the rotor is concerning for racing but we will have to see how it works before I doubt it too much. Gives me flashback of EBR systems that definitely never worked.
  • Sprockets are retained from the old model
  • Exhaust is all new and there are a few options for systems at this point, there are a few decat options and slip ons but they retain the black box presilencer for street use. These brands are coober, arrow, leo vince at this time. There is only one full race system being made currently from RP Exhaust in the Czech Republic, contact me if interested on that piece as they are going to be difficult to get.
  • Bodywork is currently only made by Sebimoto, once again contact me if interested as we working a deal with them.
  • Tyga/ Rott front stay is no longer going to fit as they changed the frame mounts but this model promises to be much more race ready then the previous generation in terms of weight.
  • Airbox/ air filter is looking good to use and there are filters and lid options already as it is shared from the 2021 390 Duke, additional volume and shorter runner should perform great out of the box.
  • Suspension is of similar stock performance levels as the previous generation but great effort was put into making the forks easier to work on and much more conventional assembly. Current aftermarket replacements are WP only with a replacement shock and cartridge kit.
  • Clips ons are now factory but use similar tapered end bars of the previous generation so it may be wise to switch to aftermarket anyway
  • First eta on units in the states is March roughly.
  • Rearsets transfer from the old model but only by using the old model spacers(90103038001qty2, 90104066010 qty2, 90104070000 qty 1)
  • Chassis is significant level forward from the old version with a lot more flex built into the headstay to allow for lateral grip at lean. Other updates I can't remember also.
  • Factory optional quickshift plus (up,down)
    Let me know if you have other questions or think I left anything out.
    Paxton

Attachments

• 394419_RC 390_STRIPPED_MY22_90-Right.jpg
    394419_RC 390_STRIPPED_MY22_90-Right.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

kostean

Country flag
Thanks @Superpacman13 for the concluding comparisons, great to have that one from someone who knows in depth the previous setup characteristics to compare with the new.

What I take it from what you have written, is that at lest when it concerns the owners of the older models and especially in case of already tuned/lightened setup case- there really are no good reasons to go and start swapping out the existing bikes against the 2022 one, as primarily the engine setup as a whole remains pretty much intact and by now i consider there are already enough aftermarket options available to increase the engine reliability to an acceptable level. So it more leaves out to be a decision if some components from 2022 model are that much better, e.g wheels, that it would make sense to retrofit them to older model.

Starting from scratch preparing a full track intended platform, it would be a hard decision though- there are certain downsides going to the single cylinder engine what start to show out from certain level of experience, and I mean now literally I need to admit from these tracks we have raced/trained up to thousand laps together with R3s and 400s.
I would very much though like to see KTMs at the 300 class continuing at the grid, at Europe unfortunately the are at great extent pushed out from the professional series and mostly used here by enthusiasts/beginners, but take no doubt in my opinion the 390 CUP bike example is the best bang-for-buck investment for racing bike you can make at this day, considering it's factory setup and the cost they exchange hand nowadays.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks @Superpacman13 for the concluding comparisons, great to have that one from someone who knows in depth the previous setup characteristics to compare with the new.

What I take it from what you have written, is that at lest when it concerns the owners of the older models and especially in case of already tuned/lightened setup case- there really are no good reasons to go and start swapping out the existing bikes against the 2022 one, as primarily the engine setup as a whole remains pretty much intact and by now i consider there are already enough aftermarket options available to increase the engine reliability to an acceptable level. So it more leaves out to be a decision if some components from 2022 model are that much better, e.g wheels, that it would make sense to retrofit them to older model.

Starting from scratch preparing a full track intended platform, it would be a hard decision though- there are certain downsides going to the single cylinder engine what start to show out from certain level of experience, and I mean now literally I need to admit from these tracks we have raced/trained up to thousand laps together with R3s and 400s.
I would very much though like to see KTMs at the 300 class continuing at the grid, at Europe unfortunately the are at great extent pushed out from the professional series and mostly used here by enthusiasts/beginners, but take no doubt in my opinion the 390 CUP bike example is the best bang-for-buck investment for racing bike you can make at this day, considering it's factory setup and the cost they exchange hand nowadays.
There is some solid reasoning there but what you are missing is the new chassis, bodywork and electronics will out perform the old one by a mile. The new bike will be better and drop laptimes without question, but if it makes financial sense is up to you to decide. Added this and a few things to the list.

Last edited:

Falkon45

Country flag
Looking at that frame, it reminds me a lot of the ninja 400 frame. I still don't like the looks of the new bike, but I love all the improvements.

DavidSim

Country flag
>>But on the other hand we know how to make these for the most part reliable with aftermarket solutions!<<

I have a 2022 RC390 on order, given the comment above what do I need to change to increase the reliability once I get it ?

Regards from Toronto Ontario Canada

kostean

Country flag
>>But on the other hand we know how to make these for the most part reliable with aftermarket solutions!<<

I have a 2022 RC390 on order, given the comment above what do I need to change to increase the reliability once I get it ?

Regards from Toronto Ontario Canada

At the new 2022 model I would expect KTM is continuing with the improved engine top end components what essentially are a sole reason why all the fuzz about KTM 390 series unreliability is all about.

Been racing and have seen dozen of earlier year model RCs abused at the track for years and and believe it is pretty safe to say, that for regular commuting and occasional track days the 2022 model engine is as reliable as other brands now. When pushing at professional level- both R3 and 390 engines can detonate widouth pre-warning (though the chance on R3 is way more probable when on OEM connecting rods )

2wheeldev

Country flag
I expect relaibility improvements as well. There's already a healthy list of tech improvements and weight savings. I have a 22 in order and it should arrive sometime in Feb!

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Its unclear if any unspoken updates were done with the primary issue for the 390 which is head gaskets. If they kept the updates from the 2020+ head and started to figure out how to machine things flat and proper then we should be in the clear for the most part.

kostean

Country flag
Its unclear if any unspoken updates were done with the primary issue for the 390 which is head gaskets. If they kept the updates from the 2020+ head and started to figure out how to machine things flat and proper then we should be in the clear for the most part.
The problem with early model 390 heads aside of poor design is also that these are made out of cheese ;) You can machine that damn thing as flat as you can but then towards the end of the season it blows the gasket again and when measuring over, it is always the same area at the old type of head next to the exhaust side coolant passage what has gone some ca 0,02mm out of level, what is apparently enough for the gasket to give in.

Have let one set of head machined that many times that using a standard gasket and still have high compression engine :D

AMG

Country flag
  • The engine has been for the most part unchanged which means a majority of our products should be a direct fit to the 2022 model. This is a blessing and a curse, as KTM chose to not solve some the reliability naggles that has plagued these bikes since day 1. But on the other hand we know how to make these for the most part reliable with aftermarket solutions!
  • The wheels are significantly lighter and will use the same rear axle but a different (hollow) front axle, I will be making a kit to adapt these to the old generation bikes asap as its roughly half the weight loss of the marchesini parts and I can hope for about a third of the price.
  • Front brake caliper remains the same so all pad options will continue to work, the rotor is concerning for racing but we will have to see how it works before I doubt it too much. Gives me flashback of EBR systems that definitely never worked.
  • Sprockets are retained from the old model
  • Exhaust is all new and there are a few options for systems at this point, there are a few decat options and slip ons but they retain the black box presilencer for street use. These brands are coober, arrow, leo vince at this time. There is only one full race system being made currently from RP Exhaust in the Czech Republic, contact me if interested on that piece as they are going to be difficult to get.
  • Bodywork is currently only made by Sebimoto, once again contact me if interested as we working a deal with them.
  • Tyga/ Rott front stay is no longer going to fit as they changed the frame mounts but this model promises to be much more race ready then the previous generation in terms of weight.
  • Airbox/ air filter is looking good to use and there are filters and lid options already as it is shared from the 2021 390 Duke, additional volume and shorter runner should perform great out of the box.
  • Suspension is of similar stock performance levels as the previous generation but great effort was put into making the forks easier to work on and much more conventional assembly. Current aftermarket replacements are WP only with a replacement shock and cartridge kit.
  • Clips ons are now factory but use similar tapered end bars of the previous generation so it may be wise to switch to aftermarket anyway
  • First eta on units in the states is March roughly.
  • Rearsets transfer from the old model
  • Chassis is significant level forward from the old version with a lot more flex built into the headstay to allow for lateral grip at lean. Other updates I can't remember also.
  • Factory optional quickshift plus (up,down)
    Let me know if you have other questions or think I left anything out.
    Paxton
Mate awesome work and will be build a track bike on your recommendations..

2wheeldev

Country flag
Anyone getting delivery news/updates? The dealer I have a deposit with, says the only info they have is "Feb" that it gets delivered.
Since we're mid Feb, I'd love to know when my bike arrives

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Anyone getting delivery news/updates? The dealer I have a deposit with, says the only info they have is "Feb" that it gets delivered.
Since we're mid Feb, I'd love to know when my bike arrives
KTM doesn't provide more information then that. At this point if you take delivery by the end of March I would be surprised as they are hilariously behind.

DavidSim

Country flag
I was just told this week by my local KTM dealer that my bike should arrive in March, we shall see, we have tons of snow on the ground here in Toronto so I am not in any rush (it is also snowing as I type this). Winter sucks !

Backmarker913

Country flag
Do you think the more flexible frame is a good thing? Coming from a ninja 300 to a rc390 I really appreciate the stiffer frame on the ktm. It’s much better in higher speed turns.