Akrapovic map availability

Child

I'm toying with the idea of some sort of piggy back ecu. Now when these are delivered sometimes the supplier includes a custom map based on the Akra map. I have an Aprilia in the garage and a race map is available for that but you have to buy the Aprilia recommended Akrapovic exhaust, no ifs or buts. My question is, do KTM dealers give the Akra map freely without buying the associated exhaust?
Or is it perfectly possible to create a custom map based on the std map if using an after market exhaust and air filter?

ArkansasDave

One ktm dealer couldn't get their programmer thing to work, another said it was illegal to install that map on my bike. But no they usually don't force you to buy the exhaust from them.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If your dealer won't put the map on, mail your ECU to Chad and he'll map it. Some dealer service managers are... less than stellar. In those cases, my advice is find a better service department at a different dealer. Or complain to the dealership owner. Just be prepared to be told to F-Off if you aren't dealing with a steller owner as well or aren't buying enough there to be worth their concern. In which case, again, find a better dealer.

Or learn how to do your own service and support the vendors here who are prepared to help ya'. :) {hint hint hint} LOL

ArkansasDave

I do my own work(just replaced head gasket and cylinder base gasket) but remapping an ECU can only be done by a dealer. I didn't know chad could do it by mail. Maybe I'll have to do that.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I do my own work(just replaced head gasket and cylinder base gasket) but remapping an ECU can only be done by a dealer. I didn't know chad could do it by mail. Maybe I'll have to do that.
Yup! :) On prior threads when someone ran into a difficult dealer, especially in California for example, he's commented folks can mail their ECU to him and he'll map it for them.

Finding the Akrapovic map is tricky on the dealer programmer. My dealer hadn't done it yet when we had our bike done, so it took some hunting and reading, but he figured it out. Really tho, it's just selecting an option. There's NO laws I know of that would stop them from doing it... but who knows what laws there are out there. ESPECIALLY in California!!!! LOL

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm in Texas and my experience with Tejas motorsports near Houston was less than desirable. I will never give them a dime.

That's not the first time I've heard feedback like that. D'Moto in San Antonio USED to be great as well... but one of the owners (tho one who was great and kept the place running awesome) got injured and had to take a step back. One of the other owners then stepped in and made a TON of changes, for the worse, across the board. Service, sales, marketing, all went to total hell. Some changes made were even... well lets just say less than legal.

TJ's in Austin has been pretty great by most. They have handled warranty issues well, and the one mistake I've heard of that someone in service made (overfill oil, caused the primary shaft seal to fail, easy to do if you don't know of the ******** up sight glass issue) was addressed promptly and correctly. Plus you can swing by Formula390 and visit while yer in Austin! :)

Last edited: